Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

files not opening. OS 12.1.

I click on a file, pdf, text, various types at different times.

It doesn't open. Doesn't open the program associated. Doesn't do ANYTHING.

Though most of the time this is not an issue..... then it is and, well reboot solves it.

What is wrong? This is a 'Feature' I have only encountered on the new system.

I am not updating the OS until I have a clear statement that the update with fix this because I am SICK and TIRED of updating settings and getting secondary program updates.

I need a stable system!

Mac Pro, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 10:27 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Also have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Poltergeister

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Also have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Feb 3, 2022 9:56 AM in response to Poltergeister

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters.

A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS.

For additional purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

files not opening. OS 12.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.