You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does pam_tid.so plugin still work on current macOS?

In my case the dialog pops up but the actual fingerprint read or Touch ID authentication doesn't seem to work anymore. Last time I use it, I was either on Big Sur or Catalina and had no issues whatsoever. Now I'm on latest Monterey (12.2). Anyone who'd like to learn more and give it a try and report back, please visit git.io/sudotouchid < modern version of old tweak > https://osxdaily.com/2017/11/22/use-touch-id-sudo-mac/. I don't have a spare Mac, neither the resources to spun up a VM/container to test on a clean/fresh install (+update), thus I turn to you, the community.

P.S. please focus on main question - does it work on current macOS?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 1:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 5:08 PM

OMG. A pair of Sith Lords based in US clouded my senses/vision. OK, letting the geek jokes aside, the short answer is: Yes.

Long answer: full screen terminal window's background is black (on my Terminal.app profile) and my macOS is set to dark mode, hence the dialog that pops up is quite dark as well. These two were the main contributing factors in creating a "blind-spot" on my screen. Visually, I was missing the obvious. The dialog window that pops up, while appears on top of terminal window, it lacks/loses focus. I had to try it couple of time until I realized what the problem was. Visually, the only diff was the appearance of the first button (becoming blue when active/got-focus).

Focus = 0 (false)

Focus = 1 (true)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2022 5:08 PM in response to dacbarbos

OMG. A pair of Sith Lords based in US clouded my senses/vision. OK, letting the geek jokes aside, the short answer is: Yes.

Long answer: full screen terminal window's background is black (on my Terminal.app profile) and my macOS is set to dark mode, hence the dialog that pops up is quite dark as well. These two were the main contributing factors in creating a "blind-spot" on my screen. Visually, I was missing the obvious. The dialog window that pops up, while appears on top of terminal window, it lacks/loses focus. I had to try it couple of time until I realized what the problem was. Visually, the only diff was the appearance of the first button (becoming blue when active/got-focus).

Focus = 0 (false)

Focus = 1 (true)

Feb 2, 2022 6:13 PM in response to dacbarbos

dacbarbos wrote:

Hopefully, Apple will implement features like Window Focus natively in next release.

Maybe you should review your 3rd party system modifications. When you mentioned this, I thought you might be able to use Accessibility to change the focus behaviour. But when I tested it, it had no effect. It was always active. So considering the fact that you knew about this in the first place, you might have some long-forgotten system mod that is interfering with your focus. I don't have any focus problems on my machine.

Does pam_tid.so plugin still work on current macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.