Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overwritting/Rename Duplicated Items

Lets say I have a file name Report.pdf in Finder>Downloads folder, I download another file with the same name, why doesn't Mac automatically rename that file to Report.pdf (1) or whatever, keep the original file name and make a new file for me and send it to the front (Last Added)??? But instead, it seems to see that I already have one of that file name, so it either doesn't do anything...which I have to scroll all the way down to find that file or do a search for it?

How can I set Mac to rename the new file I just downloaded to Report.pdf (1) then add it to my download folder? So I can see that it's the latest version of that file I just downloaded.

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 12:42 AM

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

If/when I download the same files twice I get the numbers added automatically.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 12:42 AM in response to Makforce

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

If/when I download the same files twice I get the numbers added automatically.

Feb 2, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Makforce

There isn't a setting. That is how it is supposed to work.

I have no idea why yours is not doing that.

From where are you downloading files? Are they the same download, or a different one with the same name?

In trying to investigate, I've found that if it is the same file, it doesn't add a number. However, if it is a different file with the same name, it adds a number.

Feb 2, 2022 10:18 PM in response to Barney-15E

It's the same file. It's really frustrating because I may have downloaded that file a long time ago, so it's all the way somewhere in the folder, then when I download the new file, it doesn't get renamed, so I'm trying to find where that file is and the frustrating part is, some apps or softwares, it doesn't tell you what the file name is so you can't search for the file name. Why can't it just rename it for me with a (1) at the end and keep it up on top of the folder for me....

Overwritting/Rename Duplicated Items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.