Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac saves files in two places

My Mac saves the same file in more than one location. For example,

I would download a document attached on an email, rename it and select 'Save As', then select the folder I want to save the document in and save it. But I've noticed that my Mac would ALSO save a copy of the renamed file in the last folder I saved a document to. So I end up with the same file, in more than one location. This happens without me selecting an option to duplicate the document. Creates a lot of clutter in my folders, especially when personal documents crop up in work related folders.

Anybody else has this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 5:09 PM

Working exactly as intended.

Here is what you are currently doing.......When you download the attachment from the email you are saving the attachment as File_1. File_1 now exists at the download location. Now you launch an app to open File_1 and view the document. You now decide to use the "Save As...." feature of the app where you select a different name & location saving the copy at location two as File_2. Assuming you did not edit the file and the app doesn't modify the file in any way you will now have two identical files (File_1 at the download location, and File_2 at the second location). You are making a copy of the original file with this workflow. This is all perfectly normal behavior and working exactly as intended. Some apps may be able to rename a file in place, but most apps do not rename & move the file for you.

Here are two possible ways to achieve your goal, but both options are nearly identical. The first method involves using the Finder to locate the downloaded attachment named File_1 and using the Finder to move File_1 to the desired second location. Then use the Finder to rename File_1 to the name of your choice which in the above scenario was File_2. You have just a single file at the end of the process.

Option 2 may not be possible with some email apps. When downloading the email attachment, select the desired second location to save the attachment File_1. Use the Finder to rename File_1 to the desired name File_2 in our scenario. Depending on the email client you may or may not be able to manually select a download location when saving an attachment so this option may not even be viable unless you change the default download location used by the email app. With some email apps it may even be possible to do a "Save As..." from the email client so you can both select the custom download "second" location and give the downloaded attachment the desired custom name of File_1 at the second location all in a single step. This will also give you a single document File_2 as the second location.

Option 2 is the easier option if the email app supports selecting a specific custom download location.

There may be other options, but these are simplest ones and the first ones which come to mind.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2022 5:09 PM in response to L_H123

Working exactly as intended.

Here is what you are currently doing.......When you download the attachment from the email you are saving the attachment as File_1. File_1 now exists at the download location. Now you launch an app to open File_1 and view the document. You now decide to use the "Save As...." feature of the app where you select a different name & location saving the copy at location two as File_2. Assuming you did not edit the file and the app doesn't modify the file in any way you will now have two identical files (File_1 at the download location, and File_2 at the second location). You are making a copy of the original file with this workflow. This is all perfectly normal behavior and working exactly as intended. Some apps may be able to rename a file in place, but most apps do not rename & move the file for you.

Here are two possible ways to achieve your goal, but both options are nearly identical. The first method involves using the Finder to locate the downloaded attachment named File_1 and using the Finder to move File_1 to the desired second location. Then use the Finder to rename File_1 to the name of your choice which in the above scenario was File_2. You have just a single file at the end of the process.

Option 2 may not be possible with some email apps. When downloading the email attachment, select the desired second location to save the attachment File_1. Use the Finder to rename File_1 to the desired name File_2 in our scenario. Depending on the email client you may or may not be able to manually select a download location when saving an attachment so this option may not even be viable unless you change the default download location used by the email app. With some email apps it may even be possible to do a "Save As..." from the email client so you can both select the custom download "second" location and give the downloaded attachment the desired custom name of File_1 at the second location all in a single step. This will also give you a single document File_2 as the second location.

Option 2 is the easier option if the email app supports selecting a specific custom download location.

There may be other options, but these are simplest ones and the first ones which come to mind.

Apr 14, 2022 9:00 AM in response to L_H123

Wow, this is a new one on me!?

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Apr 14, 2022 9:46 AM in response to L_H123

These seems like normal behavior assuming I am understanding your steps. If you download a file, then open that file in another app and select "Save As" you are telling the system to create a new file with the new name even if the contents are exactly the same.

Your options are to select a different location to download the file from the email, then use the Finder to rename the file. Or use the Finder to move the file from the downloaded location to the new location and rename the file with the Finder.

Apr 14, 2022 10:27 AM in response to BDAqua

I guess what essentially happens, by downloading, the file automatically saves in your Downloads folder, but then for example with a PDF, if you go to the top of the document, change the name and then indicate which folder you want to move it to, it should disappear from your downloads and move to the folder you selected. That happens, but it also saves a copy in the last folder I saved or moved something to....

Apr 14, 2022 10:30 AM in response to HWTech

I hear you, and you are right, but it saves that copy to where I want to save it to, as well as to the last folder I saved something in...

I constantly come across documents in the wrong folders, but then also find a copy of the same document, with the same name I saved it as, in the correct folder I saved it to. So how do all those extra copy documents end up in the wrong folders. Happens too often that it's just a user error on my side so I figured somehow automatically a copy is saved to the last folder I saved something to as well as where I want the document to be.

Apr 17, 2022 1:42 PM in response to HWTech

Mmmm...maybe I need to better explain my problem - it is not a 'save as' issue. Your explanations are right, but not directed to my issue.

If I download an attachment from my email, it automatically is saved in Downloads folder and automatically opens up in Preview. Then I go to the top of the document in Preview, to basically select a different folder I want to move the document to. You also have the option of changing the name of the file here. My understanding was always that here you can rename the document (or not), without copying it, and then you move it to your desired location. Maybe I have it wrong.

I understand that when changing the name, you perhaps create a copy, so you can have a copy with the old name in Downloads and then a copy with the new name in the folder you selected to move it to. However, when I go through this process, sometimes even when I don't change the name of the file, I end up with a copy in the last folder I saved something to, as well as a copy in the folder I selected to move it to.

I can do a search on my Mac for the document and find it in three locations, the downloads, the folder I want it in, as well as another random folder - which I am beginning to think is often the last folder I saved something to. That doesn't seem right, unless I am fundamentally misunderstanding something.

Mac saves files in two places

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.