Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Destination folder when saving files.

This has always bugged me: when downloading more than one file from a source, I select the destination folder during the first save, but then Mac goes back to previous destination when I go to save the next file. Why does it revert rather than staying on the chosen folder, which would seem logical to me?

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 2:09 PM

If you go into the Safari "Preferences" you should be able to set in there the download location that you want the files to save. It defaults back to the settings when you download the next file because that is what the programming for Safari tells it where to save. I'm not sure if there is a way to set it to keep it in a certain spot after you pick one for the current file and then hope that the rest go in the same area. However, you can pick a location that EVERY file will go to or you can have it ask every time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 2:09 PM in response to 73wyomingdrive

If you go into the Safari "Preferences" you should be able to set in there the download location that you want the files to save. It defaults back to the settings when you download the next file because that is what the programming for Safari tells it where to save. I'm not sure if there is a way to set it to keep it in a certain spot after you pick one for the current file and then hope that the rest go in the same area. However, you can pick a location that EVERY file will go to or you can have it ask every time.

May 23, 2021 4:29 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

Third party browsers such as Firefox and Vivaldi (not sure about Google Chrome) have an option in their app preferences to either use a specific folder as the destination, or you can specify to be prompted for the location each time a file is downloaded. AFAIK, Safari does not have this latter option. For Safari you can right-click or control-click the link which brings up a menu of options one of which is something like "Save link as....".

Safari does allow you to be prompted for the location each time a file is downloaded.

May 23, 2021 4:05 PM in response to 73wyomingdrive

Third party browsers such as Firefox and Vivaldi (not sure about Google Chrome) have an option in their app preferences to either use a specific folder as the destination, or you can specify to be prompted for the location each time a file is downloaded. AFAIK, Safari does not have this latter option. For Safari you can right-click or control-click the link which brings up a menu of options one of which is something like "Save link as....".

Destination folder when saving files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.