Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.6.3 Update

Just updated my MacBook Air and every time I open the lid it tells me I have to log in with password to use Touch ID despite it is set to "Unlock Your Mac"

After that it tells me that "your computer was restarted because of a problem" - but it was not shut down so it seems it has not been "restarted".

I have done a "restart" but the problem persists.

Is there a cure or do I need to update to Monterey - usually like to wait for the bugs to be ironed out, but which is better - trying to solve this issue or hoping Monterey is better?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 12:42 PM

Yup. Same issue here. I found on another forum that Microsoft Word and other MS products can cause it. I deleted mine and it worked...for a couple of days. Now it's back to restarting every time it sleeps or I close the lid. Very annoying. Please fix this Apple!!

5 replies

Feb 3, 2022 2:08 PM in response to jazmec

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, jazmec.

We see that you're having some trouble with Touch ID on your Mac. Even with that setting turned on, restarting the Mac will require you to input your password. You can also check out If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac for more information.

Beyond that, we'd definitely recommend keeping the computer up to date. You can see how to do that by following Update macOS on Mac.

We hope that helps.

Feb 3, 2022 5:28 PM in response to jdo_apple

Hmmm, turns out it was actually shutting down of it's own volition when the lid was closed - hence, I assume, why it always wanted the password. But why was it shutting down when the lid was closed?? Seems to me Big Cur 11.6.3 seems to be looked at!

As indicated the problem occurred as a consequence of updating the computer i.e. "keeping the computer up to date". If I had not done that then I assume the problem would not have occurred!

Feb 7, 2022 7:54 PM in response to Kisch83

Hmm, have heard the story about MS before. Hopefully Apple is getting enough responses to my initial concerns. However probably assume they will focus on Monterey.

Although I usually wait for the bugs to be fixed on new OS I have updated to Monterey and have been pleasantly surprised so far - no significant changes apparent, so fairly seamless.

Big Sur 11.6.3 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.