Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) can't finish Apple Diagnostics Testing

Diagnostics starts. I finish with internet connection and password. Then this message comes up.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Sam

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 10:32 PM

7 replies

Feb 2, 2022 10:58 PM in response to SamSLP

A Mid-2012 MacBook Pro cannot run the newer Apple Diagnostics. Instead, it would use the Apple Hardware Test for this purpose. Macs that were made between post 2010 and pre-June 2013 normally run AHT from code which is hidden away in /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics, which often seems to get wiped and not restored when you replace the internal storage, or perform a clean re-install. Not knowing if you had done either of these could be the reason you are seeing this error.

The "/EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi" is not referencing anything on your computer's physical drive. It is actually referencing files on a virtual volume downloaded from the Apple servers or the actual files on the Apple server.

Have you tried both holding down the <D> key, and <Option><D>? The latter would attempt to download the AHT from the Apple servers. The message you see could be indicating that your Mac is having trouble contacting those servers.

Feb 17, 2022 5:55 PM in response to SamSLP

Try using a wired USB keyboard & mouse to see if you can type and navigate properly.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" which will provide more information including a summary of the recent logs which may provide more clues.

To check the health of the drive(s), run DriveDx and post the complete report for each drive.

Post both reports here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Feb 8, 2022 4:33 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

A Mid-2012 MacBook Pro cannot run the newer Apple Diagnostics. Instead, it would use the Apple Hardware Test for this purpose. Macs that were made between post 2010 and pre-June 2013 normally run AHT from code which is hidden away in /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics, which often seems to get wiped and not restored when you replace the internal storage, or perform a clean re-install. Not knowing if you had done either of these could be the reason you are seeing this error.

With a system firmware update included in macOS 10.12.x and 10.13, these older Macs from 2010+ were given the ability to boot to the online Apple Diagnostics and Internet Recovery Mode. Unfortunately some of the system firmware updates are incompatible with the bootloader files for some of the network resources. For consumers, this means the Apple Diagnostics (both online and offline). Unfortunately this is something Apple broke and has decided not to fix. The fix would require Apple to fix the broken "EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi" boot file in the virtual diagnostic package. We had other similar boot issues for other services which Apple later fixed with new boot files compatible with the new firmware, but Apple only fixed what they felt like fixing plus we waited for some of the fixes for over a year.

Some of our organization's 2012 laptops will boot the online diagnostics while others will not. I haven't had any time to document them to figure out which firmware works and which does not. Or perhaps there is another unknown item in the mix which may be similar to the issue where some Macs won't boot into the proper online macOS installer and will instead default to booting the online macOS installer which originally shipped on the Mac from the factory regardless of the keys used to access Internet Recovery Mode.

Unfortunately there is nothing the user can do to fix this problem. Most likely the user would be unable to even boot the older offline Apple Diagnostics available from this Github page (all the diagnostics are actually downloaded directly from an Apple server, the Github page just collects the links and provides instructions).

@SamSLP, what issues are you having with this laptop other than not being able to run the diagnostics? There are other ways to troubleshoot system issues.

Feb 17, 2022 12:00 PM in response to HWTech

When I installed the latest Catalina update at the time my fans were running with noise. Then my trackpad became erratic. So I tried to run apple diagnostics and can’t per the problems above.

The fans stopped the noise but the trackpad stayed erratic. I researched the problem. Restarted for Pram and VRAM and the trackpad was erratic. I ordered a new cable. Still erratic. Got a new battery. Trackpad was still acting erratic.

So today I cleaned the trackpad and its outer enclosure rim. Powered up.

The cursor won’t move and for the login the keys take a few taps to put each letter of the password in. Same with typing return. Finally it takes and loads and I get into my OS but the cursor won’t move.

I have a message from Apple of a new update but I can’t click to install it as I’m hoping it corrects what it screwed up.

t

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) can't finish Apple Diagnostics Testing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.