Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen and several lines of info, but goes away too fast

My mac air when starting up has a black window with about 10-15 lines of items. It disappears too fast to see what the information is.

Can I do a reinstall of the computer with an external hard drive? Will it restore all the programs I have on it now?

Thanks

Fran J.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 5:34 AM

shut down

disconnect all external devices

reset the System Management Controller

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

repeat this step one more time

reset the NVRAM/PRAM, steps are in the same link

repeat this step 3 times in total

restart in safe boot by holding down the SHIFT key, this is not necessary, but I recommend it

reboot normally.

if these steps fail you can try to restore. All Apple apps that came with your computer when it shipped will be available to you (e.g. Notes, Garage Band, Stickies, Photos, iTunes, etc.) 3rd party apps like Adobe or Microsoft products will need to be downloaded again from your Adobe or Microsoft account respectively.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 5:34 AM in response to wot90s

shut down

disconnect all external devices

reset the System Management Controller

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

repeat this step one more time

reset the NVRAM/PRAM, steps are in the same link

repeat this step 3 times in total

restart in safe boot by holding down the SHIFT key, this is not necessary, but I recommend it

reboot normally.

if these steps fail you can try to restore. All Apple apps that came with your computer when it shipped will be available to you (e.g. Notes, Garage Band, Stickies, Photos, iTunes, etc.) 3rd party apps like Adobe or Microsoft products will need to be downloaded again from your Adobe or Microsoft account respectively.

Black screen and several lines of info, but goes away too fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.