Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! The update has frozen with a minute remaining-twice now

Updating my iMac with latest update and it keeps freezing with a minute to go - I’m frozen out. I’ve rebooted, the Mac going straight back to a 30mins update, same thing happens, minute to go and nothing - frozen out

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 10:07 AM

Those notifications which say X minutes remaining are very unreliable. How long did you wait? In my experience an update or an upgrade download can easily take 30 to 45 minutes with another 45 minutes to an hour to install, with multiple restarts. Of course that is subject to the speed of your internet and which OS is being installed. I have to ask. Did you do the download via Wi-Fi? It is too slow for these very large files and will generally fail or cause corruption to the data being downloaded. That may be what happened to you. If so, next time use a wired Ethernet connection and it should work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 10:07 AM in response to jolyon179

Those notifications which say X minutes remaining are very unreliable. How long did you wait? In my experience an update or an upgrade download can easily take 30 to 45 minutes with another 45 minutes to an hour to install, with multiple restarts. Of course that is subject to the speed of your internet and which OS is being installed. I have to ask. Did you do the download via Wi-Fi? It is too slow for these very large files and will generally fail or cause corruption to the data being downloaded. That may be what happened to you. If so, next time use a wired Ethernet connection and it should work.

Feb 3, 2022 6:07 AM in response to jolyon179

Hi jolyon179.

Try to boot the Mac into Recovery-Mode and choose Reinstall macOS.

Hopefully this will allow the previous version of the macOS that was on your system to be restored, after which you can try the update again, provided your hardware is compatible.

See this document for help with Recovery-Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201314

HTH.

Will.

Help! The update has frozen with a minute remaining-twice now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.