Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to Monterey totally screwed up my MacBook Pro, even though it is just a year and a half old

I called Apple tech support to deal with another issue (random apps that were opening automatically each time I restarted the computer, even though they weren't set up to open automatically on login). They convinced me to update to Monterey. I usually avoid updating the OS as long as possible, because the new OS always causes massive problems for me. I should have gone with that inclination.

Monterey is a nightmare. As soon as I updated, I've been having tons of problems. For instance, the computer cannot be woken when it goes to sleep. The only way to rouse it is to force it to turn off and then restart it. Making matters worse, it now takes forever to boot. And I have an external monitor that is continuously flickering on and off. I never had a problem like this before updating. And a quick search on the internet shows that a lot of people are having these problems as a result of Monterey, yet Apple doesn't fix them.

I'm really mad at Apple. This computer is barely a year and a half old. Now they pushed out this new OS, knowing it has all these problems, in a way that has rendered my computer barely functional. I've wasted hours on the phone with tech support, but they do nothing to fix these issues.

If your computer is more than a year old, particularly if it has an intel chip, I would not "upgrade" to Monterey. There is a serious risk it will ruin your computer.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 6:38 AM

I have a 2013 ac Pro and I had nt problem upgrading to Monterey with the exception of having to first reinstall my original Apple SSD and upgrade to Monterey and reinstalled my third-party disk and upgraded that to Monterey w/o problem.

You had a problem with the prior macOS version. Very frequently upgrading with a system with problems never resolves the previous problems and frequently creates more problems.

What I recommend that yu do is to makes sure you have a good backup. Then boot to Recovery, erase the startup disk, reinstall acOS and only migrate/restore your User and not system setting or application. You User includes all you data.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

I would migrate your User during the initial startup of the new macOS install. If you do it later, your will create a new user for the restored user.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 6:38 AM in response to ShaggyMoose

I have a 2013 ac Pro and I had nt problem upgrading to Monterey with the exception of having to first reinstall my original Apple SSD and upgrade to Monterey and reinstalled my third-party disk and upgraded that to Monterey w/o problem.

You had a problem with the prior macOS version. Very frequently upgrading with a system with problems never resolves the previous problems and frequently creates more problems.

What I recommend that yu do is to makes sure you have a good backup. Then boot to Recovery, erase the startup disk, reinstall acOS and only migrate/restore your User and not system setting or application. You User includes all you data.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

I would migrate your User during the initial startup of the new macOS install. If you do it later, your will create a new user for the restored user.

Feb 3, 2022 6:51 AM in response to ShaggyMoose

To really get a better look at what Hardware and Software is in play on this computer and to possibly find the root cause of the issues >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Updating to Monterey totally screwed up my MacBook Pro, even though it is just a year and a half old

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.