Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (Late 2014) Monterey 12.5

I've been running two old Apple Cinema Screens, 23" HD as the main screen, and 20" as the second screen. Since updating to the latest 12.5 version of Monterey, the 2nd screen shows only the white top strip with greyed out images and words, and the rest of the screen black. By restarting zapping the PRAM several times I manage to get it back. Obviously I've run Disk Utility and also CleanMyMac which makes no difference. It is a bore losing half an hour at the start of each working day cranking up the old mac mini - does anyone have any ideas - I don't want to replace the computer as I'm only just beginning to recover from the business disaster over the Pandemic!

Be great to hear! Gareth

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 10:02 AM

it can be tricky. especially if you've had it installed for a while. you can look at this page: https://osxuninstaller.com/uninstall-guides/fully-uninstall-cleanmymac/. it seems to be the way to go. however, I wouldn't use the OSX uninstaller. rather, use the manual steps found on that page.

but worst case scenario, a total wipe and reinstall of macOS may be necessary depending on the damage it may have caused since installation.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 10:02 AM in response to gjltd

it can be tricky. especially if you've had it installed for a while. you can look at this page: https://osxuninstaller.com/uninstall-guides/fully-uninstall-cleanmymac/. it seems to be the way to go. however, I wouldn't use the OSX uninstaller. rather, use the manual steps found on that page.

but worst case scenario, a total wipe and reinstall of macOS may be necessary depending on the damage it may have caused since installation.

Aug 3, 2022 9:47 AM in response to gjltd

the issue could very well be having and using cleanmymac. clean my mac is complete garbage. it is known to cause serious issues within macOS. many serious problems posted here are solved by uninstalling that junkware. you should avoid it like a swarm of bees.

also, if you are concerned with keeping your mac safe and clean, i'll recommend reading Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but it's worth your time to read every word.

Mac Mini (Late 2014) Monterey 12.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.