Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 iMac 12.1 won't stay asleep, quickly wakes up and stays awake indefinitely

2020 27" iMac, recently upgraded to Monterrey 12.1. I have several media external hd enclosures and hubs connected via usb3.0 and thunderbolt3 that are individually powered most of the time. I'll press (apple) > sleep, and everything will spin down and the imac goes to sleep.

After a few minutes the imac wakes up, monitor turns on, and peripherals spin up—moments later it sleeps again. In the mornings when I wake, the computer is usually on, spun up, but the monitor is off.

I've disabled "wake for network access" and "enable power nap"—still no luck.

My old 2015 imac running High Sierra and almost all the same peripherals didn't have this issue. The newest device is an OWC Thunderbolt (3) Hub connected to some drives.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 12:35 AM

What mouse/pointing device and keyboard are you using?

In Monterey Logitech device seem to way the a Mac.

As a test can you disconnect your external drive and other devices?

Reset SMC and NVRAM (if applicable).

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Then try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Last, download and run this app so we can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. Then paste it in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

Paste additional text box image

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 12:35 AM in response to ilykdp

What mouse/pointing device and keyboard are you using?

In Monterey Logitech device seem to way the a Mac.

As a test can you disconnect your external drive and other devices?

Reset SMC and NVRAM (if applicable).

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Then try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Last, download and run this app so we can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. Then paste it in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

Paste additional text box image

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Feb 13, 2022 10:55 AM in response to ilykdp

I turned of my Logitech BlueTooth mouse. I also have a Mattias BlueTooth keyboard, but the computer still does not stay asleep even when it is powered and the MacBook Pro only uses a wired USB mouse and keyboard.

Changing the Power Adapter settings does not change this misbehavior, either. Have already had 1 call to Apple Support but didn't solve the issue.

Feb 4, 2022 2:08 AM in response to ilykdp

There are reports from Off Apple Sites indicating the Wake and Sleep and Wake issue is related the any Bluetooth Keyboard and / or mount connected to the computer during this time frame.

Some have reported turning off Bluetooth on the computer before putting to sleep as a temporary workaround.

2020 iMac 12.1 won't stay asleep, quickly wakes up and stays awake indefinitely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.