Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers

How can I get a version of Numbers, for iMac Version 10.11.6 OS X El Capitan, so that I can open a .numbers file sent to me in September 2021?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 9:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 12:45 AM

" I downloaded a trial of iworks (sic) 09, while on the phone with Apple Support, & that also didn't work. Apple Support recommended that I seek help from my local apple service provider."

The 'trial' version, even if it did work initially, would fail at the end of the 30 day trial period, as it would then require you to enter a key code to unlock the trial status and convert the trial application to the then regular one. The servers that provided those keys are no longer in operation, nor are the servers that received the keys and sent back the instructions (to the Mac) to unlock the application and turn on the features not available in the trial version.

IF you can locate a Boxed retail version of iWork '09, and have a working DVD reader in or attached to your Mac, you should be able to install all three of the iWork '09 applications.

But, if the files you are attempting to open were created using Numbers version 3 or later, they will trigger a "index XML fike missing" error message, and will not open in Numbers version 1 (Numbers '08) or version 2 (Numbers '09.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 12:45 AM in response to older-mac

" I downloaded a trial of iworks (sic) 09, while on the phone with Apple Support, & that also didn't work. Apple Support recommended that I seek help from my local apple service provider."

The 'trial' version, even if it did work initially, would fail at the end of the 30 day trial period, as it would then require you to enter a key code to unlock the trial status and convert the trial application to the then regular one. The servers that provided those keys are no longer in operation, nor are the servers that received the keys and sent back the instructions (to the Mac) to unlock the application and turn on the features not available in the trial version.

IF you can locate a Boxed retail version of iWork '09, and have a working DVD reader in or attached to your Mac, you should be able to install all three of the iWork '09 applications.

But, if the files you are attempting to open were created using Numbers version 3 or later, they will trigger a "index XML fike missing" error message, and will not open in Numbers version 1 (Numbers '08) or version 2 (Numbers '09.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 5, 2022 9:39 AM in response to caedmon65

Thanks, but your information is not what I experienced - it did not give me the option to download the latest compatible version. I also called the Apple Support number & they were not able to help me. I downloaded a trial of iworks 09, while on the phone with Apple Support, & that also didn't work. Apple Support recommended that I seek help from my local apple service provider.

Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.