Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iMac is telling me I need the latest version of Numbers.... how do I update that

my iMac says I need the latest version of Numbers to open a spreadsheet I created on my iPad... I'm having trouble with how to update Numbers on my iMac...

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 8:25 AM

Every time you open a Pages or Numbers document on iCloud or an iOS device it is updated to the current version of the app & can no longer be opened by an older version & you will get a message to update to the current version. However, the current versions of the iWork apps require Big Sur or Monterey, macOS 11.0.x or macOS 12.0.x. You need to update the OS before you can update the apps. If updating your Mac is not an option use iWork for iCloud or your iOS device to open the files & then download or share a copy. Do not choose Numbers or Pages as the file type. The best option is to choose Excel or Word as the file type which you can then open with your version of Numbers/Pages or LibreOffice or Excel/Word or a multitude of other apps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2022 8:25 AM in response to murmster

Every time you open a Pages or Numbers document on iCloud or an iOS device it is updated to the current version of the app & can no longer be opened by an older version & you will get a message to update to the current version. However, the current versions of the iWork apps require Big Sur or Monterey, macOS 11.0.x or macOS 12.0.x. You need to update the OS before you can update the apps. If updating your Mac is not an option use iWork for iCloud or your iOS device to open the files & then download or share a copy. Do not choose Numbers or Pages as the file type. The best option is to choose Excel or Word as the file type which you can then open with your version of Numbers/Pages or LibreOffice or Excel/Word or a multitude of other apps.

Jun 7, 2022 10:12 AM in response to murmster

Please check this list and search for your iMac.

https://www.niwtech.com/guides/apple/imac-imac-pro/mac-os-compatibility/

For each hardware level there is a max revision level / version of macOS that can be used on this computer.

The Numbers version is tied directly to the macOS version.

If your iMac is too old you can not update to a newer macOS version and therefore you can not get the newest Numbers version. I would think that Catalina10.15.7 is the latest version that your iMac will support.

I have an older iPad that can only run iOS 12.5.5 and therefore I have to deal with Numbers version 10.1.

As a result I can not open all Numbers files that I create on my MacBook with Numbers version 12.0.

Current macOS version is 12.4 and Numbers version 12.0!

Ralf

my iMac is telling me I need the latest version of Numbers.... how do I update that

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.