Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Installation «fails» on external SSD

I've bought a Samsung T5 500GB to give back some speed to my late 2013 iMac. I erased the SDD (Journaled, GUID), downloaded the installer for Catalina. The installer starts but when it reaches the point to restart the Machine to install Catalina on the external Drive it restarts, but boots right back up from the internal drive. No OS installed on the SSD.

What am i doing wrong?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 5:34 AM

It worked! The only thing i changed was the USB Port. It was plugged into the last port and i changed it to the first. Before, a card reader was plugged into the first port, but without a card inserted. Now i don't know what really happens, but MAYBE the Mac checks each USB port in (1,2,3,4) order on startup, and it somehow took too long for a response of the «dead» card reader so it just fired up the internal OS. No idea.

Boot to Desktop now takes around 10 seconds. With the HD it took around two Minutes until you were able to use ANYTHING. The Finder was there after 1 Minute or so, but you couldn't do anything, because it was beach balling forever.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 5:34 AM in response to Rudhelm

It worked! The only thing i changed was the USB Port. It was plugged into the last port and i changed it to the first. Before, a card reader was plugged into the first port, but without a card inserted. Now i don't know what really happens, but MAYBE the Mac checks each USB port in (1,2,3,4) order on startup, and it somehow took too long for a response of the «dead» card reader so it just fired up the internal OS. No idea.

Boot to Desktop now takes around 10 seconds. With the HD it took around two Minutes until you were able to use ANYTHING. The Finder was there after 1 Minute or so, but you couldn't do anything, because it was beach balling forever.

Feb 4, 2022 5:09 AM in response to PRP_53

Yup, found that as well... nevertheless... it does not work. I even tried to create a bootable disk following these instructions, but the SSD does not show up as a start volume when i start the mac with option held down... this is really frustrating.

Then i've found something about a T2 Chip, that prevents the Mac from starting from an external Device, but my late 2013 does not have one (according to systeminformation).

Feb 4, 2022 3:49 AM in response to PRP_53

Same thing. It starts the installation (or whatever it does in the Finder), i select the external SSD as place to install. Runs to the point where it automatically restarts the iMac (tried both: wait 30 seconds for restart or click the button to restart), restarts (without the chime) and just buggers off to just starts up from the internal HD anyway...

Everywhere else i've read the SSD must be formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) and GUID.

Catalina Installation «fails» on external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.