Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP URGENT! SMB printing problem afert applying the latest security update

Hi in our enviroment in last days we are experiecing problem with printer configured via SMB on a windows print server.

User with differnt OS version Catalina BigSur & Monterey after installing the latest security patch wont print anymore throught the old print queue configured via smb:/ServerIp/shared-printer, it just get stucked and once it get paused there is no way to restar the service not even deleting and recreating the cue.

We have found and tested several solution on the web for the print-nightmare isssue but none worked and the only solution was to configure a new printing queue via Ipps.

Do you have any rabbit in your hat to solve this problem.

We would really appriciate your help, because for now is just 10 users having this problem but after this weekend we are expecting more to come.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 12:50 PM

So you are telling me that is not related to the last security update on Catalina Big Sur & Monterey?

Nothing related to the RPC changes in 12.2, 11.6.3, and Catalina security update 2022-001 (build 19H1713) in response to PrintNightmare?

"Resolves an issue that prevented authenticating to a Windows print server with increased RPC authentication level."

Anyway I managed to solve the problem moving from IP to FQDN of the Windows printserver ( SMB://printserver.domain.com/share.) and for now works on my Macbook Pro with Monterey 12.2

On Monday we will test on Catalina e Big Sur.

Ciao!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2022 12:50 PM in response to tgok23

So you are telling me that is not related to the last security update on Catalina Big Sur & Monterey?

Nothing related to the RPC changes in 12.2, 11.6.3, and Catalina security update 2022-001 (build 19H1713) in response to PrintNightmare?

"Resolves an issue that prevented authenticating to a Windows print server with increased RPC authentication level."

Anyway I managed to solve the problem moving from IP to FQDN of the Windows printserver ( SMB://printserver.domain.com/share.) and for now works on my Macbook Pro with Monterey 12.2

On Monday we will test on Catalina e Big Sur.

Ciao!

Feb 5, 2022 8:49 AM in response to StefanoMaz

Hey there,StefanoMaz!

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! From your post, it sounds like you're having an issue with your print drivers that are configured via SMB.

Since this seems to be related to the Windows print server, we'd suggest reaching out to Microsoft for a good solution to help you out. We're suggesting it because it seems that the update is not working with their configuration. They might have a workaround that will help you or an update to the driver.

Take care!

HELP URGENT! SMB printing problem afert applying the latest security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.