Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive "deleted" images and folders but kept some?

Yesterday (2/4/22) I plugged in nearly new MyPassport hard drive to gather some images from, only to discover that the hard drive has renamed itself! It went from "2021-2022" to "2019 Backups". Within the hard drive I can see the titles to the photo folders I have named and organized, but within those 30+ folders are no edited or RAW images, it's as if they never existed. I can, however, still locate some folders that have random receipts and such that I have scanned and stored on the hard drive.

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) about a month ago, backed upped my old MacBook to the hard drive I mentioned above, and of course relocated everything to this new MacBook. I haven't had a single issue with the MacBook or hard drive acting up, until yesterday. I'm nervous that some how the Time Machine did an automatic backup and restructured the hard drive somehow without me telling it to? I have never seen this happen before, and at this point, would be willing to hear any suggestions.

Luckily, I have more backups of these images, but right now it's more out of stubbornness that I want to know how and why this could have happened, so it doesn't happen again.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 8:11 AM

BZ_MO wrote:

Yesterday (2/4/22) I plugged in nearly new MyPassport hard drive to gather some images from, only to discover that the hard drive has renamed itself! It went from "2021-2022" to "2019 Backups". Within the hard drive I can see the titles to the photo folders I have named and organized, but within those 30+ folders are no edited or RAW images, it's as if they never existed. I can, however, still locate some folders that have random receipts and such that I have scanned and stored on the hard drive.

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) about a month ago, backed upped my old MacBook to the hard drive I mentioned above, and of course relocated everything to this new MacBook. I haven't had a single issue with the MacBook or hard drive acting up, until yesterday. I'm nervous that some how the Time Machine did an automatic backup and restructured the hard drive somehow without me telling it to? I have never seen this happen before, and at this point, would be willing to hear any suggestions.

Luckily, I have more backups of these images, but right now it's more out of stubbornness that I want to know how and why this could have happened, so it doesn't happen again.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Trouble Shooting Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 8:11 AM in response to BZ_MO

BZ_MO wrote:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Trouble Shooting Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

External hard drive "deleted" images and folders but kept some?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.