Can finder do this? photo dimensions and corrupt images

I've recently found an old hard drive I last used in my 2008 Mac Pro. The drive had issues mounting in Ventura, so I used data recovery software from the Mac App Store.

Most of the files are photos, however I am now left with (but don't understand why), several hundred thousand image files recovered with many random duplicates. Unfortunately probably most are corrupt as unable to see thumbnail in Finder which may be due to using different type of OS now from 15 years ago plus metadata may have been corrupted by data recovery software?

My questions are. Is there a way of finding and deleting corrupt files on mass rather than on at a time in Finder? The corrupt files have no size dimensions showing when right click Get Info. Also, the files that do open, the images are often not much larger than a couple of postage stamps. Can Finder or other software, select and remove any image file which is too small to either view properly on a screen or attempt to print if wanted too.

Random questions, but any help much appreciated as to go through this number of files is going to take me many weeks.

Thanks

Matt

Mac Studio, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 4, 2023 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 12:24 PM

Thanks AdvisorMP

In Finder, by right clicking to Show View Options and ticking Select Item Info, it gives me the information I am want. I was hoping there was an option in Finder to sort photos like this, rather than making it a long manual job.

Thanks of your quick reply.

Similar questions

6 replies

May 6, 2023 3:53 PM in response to AppleMacCider

Thanks for reaching out AppleMacCider,

It sounds like you're looking for a way to sort your files based on size in Finder. We can help.

While there isn't a way to automatically sort your images to see which ones are intact, you can use Finder to sort your files by file size, which may give you an idea of which files are intact and worth saving. You can use the following resource to Sort and arrange items in the Finder on Mac.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

May 8, 2023 2:16 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks Keith

At the time these hard drives are from, I would have been a relatively new Mac user so this is quite likely the answer why. Hard drives have been duplicated over the years due to faults with them and Macs. Now paying the price to trying to fix early. 12+ years later, I definitely wouldn't be doing that again now!!

I think the only way I can think to get this resolved (but not quickly) is to preview every file in finder and delete any corrupt files (that either won't open or display photo correctly).

Can finder do this? photo dimensions and corrupt images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.