Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to decide which apps are on Start Up with macOS Big Sur?

I recently had the Apple Store wipe my mid 2015 27" iMac clean and reinstall Big Sur. All was well for a couple of months and now on Start Up, 4 different apps load. Ring, google map, Word templates and Safari. I can't find any place that tells it to open any of these on startup other than Safari. Suggestion appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 11:59 AM

In addition if you see that some apps are setup to startup on login, simply highlight them and click the - button in the dialogue box to remove them from your start up items. In addition, you may have those apps left on when you shut down the iMac, if that is correct you have a setting to re-start them when you log back in, you can turn that off too.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 11:59 AM in response to Charger9199

In addition if you see that some apps are setup to startup on login, simply highlight them and click the - button in the dialogue box to remove them from your start up items. In addition, you may have those apps left on when you shut down the iMac, if that is correct you have a setting to re-start them when you log back in, you can turn that off too.

Feb 5, 2022 4:16 PM in response to Charger9199

Apps can manage their own startup settings and should provide a way in the app preferences if they do not just put themselves in the Login Items section. If they do not have a preference to turn off running at login, contact the developer.

They can also launch themselves with a LaunchAgent in /Library/LaunchAgents or your user Library/LaunchAgents.

Those files will be named in the form, com.company.program.plist.

How to decide which apps are on Start Up with macOS Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.