Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iPad that has an old email and I can’t update anything until I change it over to the rest of my devices.

I need to change Apple ID over to my iPad Air with and older email I no longer have. How do I change it to the new address?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 9:56 AM

Changing the email address that identifies your AppleID is straightforward. You don’t need to lose any data.

An AppleID account is intended to be for life, with its owner updating core information (such as primary, secondary email address - and trusted phone numbers) as necessary.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Be aware that if you do fully erase your iPad - and setup from new with a new AppleID account - you will permanently lose access to any Apps, media and subscriptions that are associated with your current AppleID. App, media and subscription purchases are forever associated with the AppleID account from which they were purchased - and are not transferable.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 9:56 AM in response to CindiGu

Changing the email address that identifies your AppleID is straightforward. You don’t need to lose any data.

An AppleID account is intended to be for life, with its owner updating core information (such as primary, secondary email address - and trusted phone numbers) as necessary.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Be aware that if you do fully erase your iPad - and setup from new with a new AppleID account - you will permanently lose access to any Apps, media and subscriptions that are associated with your current AppleID. App, media and subscription purchases are forever associated with the AppleID account from which they were purchased - and are not transferable.

I have an iPad that has an old email and I can’t update anything until I change it over to the rest of my devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.