Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update my Mac to MacOS Monterey but I get a bootloop and these errors

I’m trying to update my 2017 IMac to Monterey but I keep on getting a bootloop whenever I install the update. I have already done first aid to the drives as well as try to install the update in safe mode though no luck. I even erased the drives themselves and went back to factory settings and operating system, still no luck. I have enough space on my computer aswell. I looked in the logs and found "sidebar failed to get physical whole disk". I have no idea what this means and am clueless. If anyone knows how to make my Mac update to Monterey please share, I still am on Catalina because Big Sur also didn’t install on my Mac. I can share more info if needed. I just really want to update my Mac to the newest operating system. Data loss is not a problem.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 2:07 AM

You said "I even erased the drives themselves and went back to factory settings and operating system, still no luck."

What macOS version resulted in factory setting?

DId you try to upgrade that w/o restoring any data?

What is your startup disk physically the one you're trying to upgrade? A Fusion drive?

Try making a bootable Monterey installer

Apple’s instructions

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Then boot from that and erase the startup disk and try install Monterey.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2022 2:07 AM in response to JP1155

You said "I even erased the drives themselves and went back to factory settings and operating system, still no luck."

What macOS version resulted in factory setting?

DId you try to upgrade that w/o restoring any data?

What is your startup disk physically the one you're trying to upgrade? A Fusion drive?

Try making a bootable Monterey installer

Apple’s instructions

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Then boot from that and erase the startup disk and try install Monterey.

Feb 6, 2022 8:11 AM in response to JP1155

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 5, 2022 9:18 AM in response to lllaass

The Mac OS version that resulted in this is MacOS High Serria. Regarding upgrading I tried to upgrade to Monterey with all of my data already on the drive. Then later deleted the startup drive. (big mistake on my part) After that I just created a new drive under Mac OS recovery and it worked better than ever (response time wise). The only thing I didn’t do was partition the drive, though I don’t know how to do it and it works fine anyway if I don’t. And yes, I was trying to upgrade my startup disk. Though I could have done this very wrong. I will try a bootable Monterey installer though.

Feb 5, 2022 9:56 PM in response to lllaass

I did the bootable installer, though when I am installing/downloading the update on my computer it says “Operation could not be completed, permission denied.” Even though I am the admin on the system. I read that others had the same issue and the apparent fix for it is to change the name of the startup disk to Macintosh HD and erase it. I am going to test in the morning if that solves the issue as I have been doing the bootable installer troubleshooting all day. Am I doing this right or is there something I am missing. I hope this is the thing that fixes the issue, it’s such a great computer and I really want it to be at the latest firmware.

Feb 6, 2022 2:29 AM in response to JP1155

It could be that when reinstalling High Sierra the Drive was formatted as HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map .

If that is accurate - to install Mojave 10.4 and anything newer like Catalina 10.15, Big Sur 11 and Monterey12 the drive needs t be converted to the New APFS Format.

Caution - jumping over all the newer versions and directly to Big Sur  / Monterey on Qualifying computers is Technically possible - there are those who have attempted and were successful. Then there are those who attempted and had less than good results.

If this is a Production or Mission Critical Set-up - a more prudent and measure approach is suggested

It may work better is moving from High Sierra up in steps to Mojave will provide the drive Conversion to APFS format

The above is from observations on the Apple Support Community Forums and IMHO

Trying to update my Mac to MacOS Monterey but I get a bootloop and these errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.