Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac reboots in Big Sur instead of newly installed Ventura

I have a 2019 iMac running Big Sur. I have tried to download and install Monterey and Ventura (separate tries) and both upgrades fail. the new OS will download but the install process seems to get cut short and the computer restarts back in Big Sur. I have already confirmed that there is plenty of space on my hard drive for the install (almost 1 gig free). Any ideas on how I can get the computer to update its OS to Monterey or later ( I want to use universal control because I have two Macs sitting side by side). Help please.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 2:50 PM

Then you should make an appointment at the nearest Apple Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have that checked. It should be able to install the firmware update if it's an Apple drive.

You might try creating and logging into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and stry to install from there.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If that fails then make the appointment.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 2:50 PM in response to austinmacs

Then you should make an appointment at the nearest Apple Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have that checked. It should be able to install the firmware update if it's an Apple drive.

You might try creating and logging into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and stry to install from there.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If that fails then make the appointment.

IMac reboots in Big Sur instead of newly installed Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.