Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my MacBook pro trackpad and keyboard suddenly stop working, what might be the problem?

trackpad and keyboard stop working, what are the fixes I can do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 2:26 AM

I will reverse my advice for a final operation ... one last backup. If they techs want to replace the logicboard and the SSD is soldered to the logicboard you lose your data. Risks all around, but backups are good.

6 replies

Feb 5, 2022 12:36 AM in response to j_zee

Have tried a force-shutdown (hold the power key)? If so, does it respond after that?

If no response at all, locate a USB keyboard (always handy to have an inexpensive $15 keyboard/mouse around). If that responds, then internal hardware in the issue.

At his point you want to check the bottom of the computer for any bulges. Batteries can bulge and crack logicboard taking out keyboard and trackpad. Check battery condition under "applesymboltopleft > AboutThisMac > SystemReport > Power". If condition is not "Normal" could be the battery.

There is also NVRAM reset if any keyboard will respond: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 and SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I am out of ideas now. Report back for others or me to read.

Feb 5, 2022 1:14 AM in response to steve359

Thanks for reply steve359. Done force-shutdown several times but nothing happen. I'm using now the Apple magic keyboard and USB mouse and it's perfectly function as normal. Also done the Apple diagnostic and other reset instructions found on the web but it don't change anything. Also no sign of battery bulging but condition shows "service recommended". I guess you're right about the internal hardware issue. Perhaps it's time for me to bring it to service center.

Thanks for the feedback..

my MacBook pro trackpad and keyboard suddenly stop working, what might be the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.