Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Misplaced music files

Hi. A few years back, I downloaded all my CDs (about 300 of them) onto my Windows based computer. Since that time I was able to access them on my iPhone and iPad, but no longer. I now have a MacBook Pro. The only place I can now find these files are in iMovie. Where is iMovie finding these music files. I don't see them in iCloud. Could I have another iCloud account that I am not aware of or know how to access?

How do I get them back into my music app? Any insight you have regarding this would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 10:33 PM

Guac23 Said:

"Misplaced music files: [...]How do I get them back into my music app? Any insight you have regarding this would be much appreciated."

-------

To Transfer to a New Mac:

Consolidate the Entire iTunes into a Single Library - that way you can cleanly export them all as one item(a Library). Once exported, restore them to your new computer.

You would...

1. Go Here: Back Up and Restore your iTunes library on your PC
  2. Consolidate: your iTunes Library
  3. Find: the iTunes Media Folder
  4. Back up: your Library and Media Files
  5. Transfer: the Library to a Pendrive (AKA: USB Flash Drive)
  6. Restore: your Library from the Backup to the Other Mac or Device

II. Also, Share these using iCloud:

For Note:

III. Apple Accounts Cannot Be Merged:

You would have to be logged into the same Apple Account on all devices, in order to access these these from iCloud. Also, you are only limited to 5 devices (computers) to play these. So, purchased items could just be downloaded, rather than transferred. Home music and movies would not matter for merging, but backing it up would make all the difference in not using data.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2022 10:33 PM in response to Guac23

Guac23 Said:

"Misplaced music files: [...]How do I get them back into my music app? Any insight you have regarding this would be much appreciated."

-------

To Transfer to a New Mac:

Consolidate the Entire iTunes into a Single Library - that way you can cleanly export them all as one item(a Library). Once exported, restore them to your new computer.

You would...

1. Go Here: Back Up and Restore your iTunes library on your PC
  2. Consolidate: your iTunes Library
  3. Find: the iTunes Media Folder
  4. Back up: your Library and Media Files
  5. Transfer: the Library to a Pendrive (AKA: USB Flash Drive)
  6. Restore: your Library from the Backup to the Other Mac or Device

II. Also, Share these using iCloud:

For Note:

III. Apple Accounts Cannot Be Merged:

You would have to be logged into the same Apple Account on all devices, in order to access these these from iCloud. Also, you are only limited to 5 devices (computers) to play these. So, purchased items could just be downloaded, rather than transferred. Home music and movies would not matter for merging, but backing it up would make all the difference in not using data.

Misplaced music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.