Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my old GarageBand/ iTunes songs which I recorded before iCloud/Music app existed?

I recorded several songs in GarageBand and exported them into my iTunes library at some point prior 2010. As far as I knew they remained in my iTunes library ever since. Now I am trying to find them and there is no more iTunes and they are not in the Music app. Shouldn't they have simply transferred to Music? In fact a lot of music seems to be missing... there are only a very random 70 or so artists listed... My primary concern though is the music that I recorded as well as original music that my friends had recorded and sent to me are missing. I am afraid these files are lost forever!

Are there any unexpected places where such things might be saved after all this time? Is there a certain file format I should look for? I have looked in the music library on my desktop (go>home>music>). The garage band folder is empty, the itunes folder has like one file, and the music folder has a library which is the very bleak Music library. Any suggestions???

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 10:25 AM

Nate Dogg,

Are you still on the same computer? The files are probably on your hard drive, even if iTunes/Music does not know where to find them. Use Finder to explore around, using some keywords from song titles that you recall. If you find one file, explore its hierarchy of folders and you will probably find them all. Check the Recycle/Trash too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 10:25 AM in response to ndogg

Nate Dogg,

Are you still on the same computer? The files are probably on your hard drive, even if iTunes/Music does not know where to find them. Use Finder to explore around, using some keywords from song titles that you recall. If you find one file, explore its hierarchy of folders and you will probably find them all. Check the Recycle/Trash too.

Where are my old GarageBand/ iTunes songs which I recorded before iCloud/Music app existed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.