Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAC - IPAD Sync

I recently transferred my photos from my PC to my new IMAC. However they did not stay in the labelled file folders but transferred randomly so it's hard to find a specific picture. I created albums in the picture app, and was able to transfer the photos to the albums, but apparently when I did that they duplicated and also ended up in the picture app on the IPAD using huge amounts of storage. I started deleting the duplicates on the IPAD but they also deleted from my albums. Question is can I turn off the sync between the two devices so everything I do in on the IMAC Pictures doesn't end up on my IPAD.

If there is an easier way to created albums without duplicating the pictures I sure would appreciate knowing how.

Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 3:18 PM

Hi

When you put a picture in an album it is not duplicated.

There is only ever one copy of a picture in your library - as shown in the library. When you add it to an album it is simply referenced from the library (same file shown in two (or many more) places)

It is the same in the synced libray on the phone. However all photos in your Mac system library will also be on the phone if you are syncing them via icloud.

If you want to stop that happening, turn off iCloud photos on either of the two devices.

Eg - on the mac - go into photos preferences - icloud tab, and click the icloud slider so it turns off.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2022 3:18 PM in response to sissyd

Hi

When you put a picture in an album it is not duplicated.

There is only ever one copy of a picture in your library - as shown in the library. When you add it to an album it is simply referenced from the library (same file shown in two (or many more) places)

It is the same in the synced libray on the phone. However all photos in your Mac system library will also be on the phone if you are syncing them via icloud.

If you want to stop that happening, turn off iCloud photos on either of the two devices.

Eg - on the mac - go into photos preferences - icloud tab, and click the icloud slider so it turns off.

Feb 6, 2022 9:56 AM in response to sissyd

The one circled here. (sorry I misled you when I said it was a slider)

Yes if you turn that off then sync from the mac to/from iCloud will stop.

Your other devices will continue to sync with iCloud unless you turn it off on those also. However even if you don't turn it off on the ipad/phone nothing you do on those devices will impact the mac and vice versa.

Please also make sure you have a regular backup of your mac photos library. (Always important, but especially now you don't have them in iCloud). Time machine with an external drive is good for that:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine – Apple Support (UK)

Feb 6, 2022 7:37 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for the response...I am new to APPLE and still trying to figure this stuff out, not to mention I am a complete nitwit ( I am almost 80 and still remember when we didn't have TV!) when it comes to computer stuff. When I transferred my photo files from my old PC to the new IMAC it copied those photos to the IPAD as well and when I made photo albums it copied them again so I have duplicates of all photos on the IPAD taking up all my storage. I thought it would be simple to delete the duplicates but I found it also deleted the photos from my albums on the IMAC.

Do I need to turn the sync off on the IMAC to stop sharing pics with IPAD or do I need to do it on the IPAD and the IPHONE. My phone also has duplicates of all the photos I transferred.

And if I do that it will only apply to photos and nothing else?

Thanks so much for your help.

Feb 6, 2022 10:06 AM in response to sissyd

I'm thinking not for your photos library.

Photos libraries are complex structures and might not store correctly in a cloud based backup system - especially if the third party backup software is not specifically aware of the requirements to store it.

At the least you should try restoring your backed up library from Carbonite to verify you can get it back, open it and use it without any problems. If you do this be careful to restore it to a different place than your actual library, so you don't accidentally overwrite your current library with the restored version.

Feb 6, 2022 11:13 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I thank you so much for your help. I am saving your answers for later when I have time to delve into this properly and my son, who is a computer whiz but not familiar with Apple can help me.

One more thing. When I went to turn off the Cloud on my IMAC it asked it I wanted to download the photos from the Cloud. Getting into scary stuff for me so I decided to turn the Cloud off on my IPAD but it won't let me. When I slide the control to off, it acts like it's working on it but then leaves it set to on. I've tried 3 times to turn if off but it won't do it.

I'm thinking the easiest way is to buy more storage for my IPAD and not get into these (for me) complicated areas.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me.

Feb 6, 2022 1:47 PM in response to sissyd

Hi

No problem.

if it asks you if you want to download then I guess you have "optimise mac storage" selected in the screenshot above, rather than "download originals".

If so, then photos only stores full size images in iCloud, removing them from your mac. So if you turn off iCloud you need to download them - that is what it is asking you. Bear in mind this will take much more storage on your mac - how much free space do you have, and how much space do your photos take in iCloud?

I can't say at the moment why you can't turn of iCloud on the ipad - where are you doing it? Should be in settings app>photos>icloud photos. (It may be because you don't have enough space on your iPad to store all the photos if that is also using optimised storage)

Note - you cannot buy more ipad storage. Storage for iPads and iPhones is fixed during manufacture and can't be increased later.

Feb 6, 2022 9:56 PM in response to TonyCollinet

The extra storage I refer to is ICLOUD storage. I ran out of storage space on the IPAD right after I transferred my files from the old PC to the IMAC. At first I didn't understand why but when I saw the duplicated photos on the IPAD, figured out what the problem was so I bought extra ICLOUD storage for the IPAD. So I think you figured out why I can't turn off ICLOUD storage under the Photos app. But I found I can turn off ICloud Backup, delete the duplicate photos on the IPAD without deleting them from the albums on IMAC and then turn ICLOUD backup on again. It's a bit laborious but it works to eliminate the duplicate photos without losing the ICLOUD back-up capability permanently. I am using 42.5 GB out of 50 GB for the photos. In the alternative I can buy an extra 200GB CLOUD storage for the IPAD and not worry about the duplicates but it annoys me to have two of every one of the photos on the IPAD. I don't like clutter.

At any rate you have given me a lot of good advice and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I will look into the

Time Machine thing.

Have a good week.

IMAC - IPAD Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.