Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creation of bootable USB drive for OS install failing

Following the instructions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 I tried to create a bootable USB drive to re-install Monterey once I reformat my hard drive. I have gotten the same error twice, the log from the Terminal is:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/target

Ready to start

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/target.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Making disk bootable...

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%

Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "“SharedSupport.dmg” couldn’t be copied to “SharedSupport”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Applications/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg, NSUserStringVariant=(

Copy

), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/Install macOS Monterey/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg, NSFilePath=/Applications/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000015d4030 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=6 "Device not configured"}}The copy of the installer app failed.

The bless of the installer disk failed.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 11:03 AM

Be wary of ultra cheap USB Flash drives for sale. There's a bunch of scammers claiming large storage capacities for super low prices and delivering a hacked USB flash drive that can only hold a small amount but reports to the operating system a much larger capacity. Also using shoddy flash chips, as in the cheapest things they can source which may be rejects from a large legit manufacturer of flash chips. i.e. bought a bulk batch of rejected flash memory chips in a small capacity then built thumb drives to say they have an enormous storage capacity and sold online. It's a scam.

If the price is too good to be true, don't buy it. Look for mainstream brand names and USB 3 or above for better speed in copying data.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 11:03 AM in response to mitchsweetphx

Be wary of ultra cheap USB Flash drives for sale. There's a bunch of scammers claiming large storage capacities for super low prices and delivering a hacked USB flash drive that can only hold a small amount but reports to the operating system a much larger capacity. Also using shoddy flash chips, as in the cheapest things they can source which may be rejects from a large legit manufacturer of flash chips. i.e. bought a bulk batch of rejected flash memory chips in a small capacity then built thumb drives to say they have an enormous storage capacity and sold online. It's a scam.

If the price is too good to be true, don't buy it. Look for mainstream brand names and USB 3 or above for better speed in copying data.

Feb 6, 2022 10:13 AM in response to mitchsweetphx

mitchsweetphx wrote:

Following the instructions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 I tried to create a bootable USB drive to re-install Monterey once I reformat my hard drive. I have gotten the same error twice, the log from the Terminal is:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/target
Ready to start
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/target.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y
Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%
Making disk bootable...
Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%
Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "“SharedSupport.dmg” couldn’t be copied to “SharedSupport”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Applications/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg, NSUserStringVariant=(

Copy

), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/Install macOS Monterey/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg, NSFilePath=/Applications/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000015d4030 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=6 "Device not configured"}}The copy of the installer app failed.

Try a different USB thumb drive and compare your results

Feb 6, 2022 10:24 AM in response to mitchsweetphx

mitchsweetphx wrote:

Following the instructions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 I tried to create a bootable USB drive to re-install Monterey once I reformat my hard drive.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

If in your alternate USBinstaller test... same results

If this is T2 iMac verify your Startup Security Utility to make sure that your Mac always starts up

from your designated startup disk, and always from a legitimate, trusted operating system.

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

Feb 6, 2022 10:31 AM in response to leroydouglas

I had looked at the list of list of machines with T2, and my 2019 iMac is not on the list so I don't think that could be the problem.

I am leaning towards the theory that my older USB sticks may be fine for writing smaller files are hitting errors when trying to put 12GB of data on it. I am going to try some brand new USB drives and see if that resolves the issue.

Creation of bootable USB drive for OS install failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.