You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari unable to stream video on Netflix or Prime Video. YouTube works but stops when I open other streaming

Hello:

Video playback on PrimeVideo or Netflix streaming services doesn't work on Safari. The sites work well, I can browse tiles but not stream anything: PrimeVideo opens a blank screen while Netflix redirects to this help page implying browser not supported. YouTube plays well but the moment I open these other sites, playback suddenly stops.

Works well on Chrome/Firefox on the same Mac.

I am running Version 15.3+ on BigSur 11.5.3 using an intel based MBPr (2020)

Finding issues on other sites too, frequent reloads.

How can I resolve this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 6:49 PM

7 replies

Feb 6, 2022 2:35 PM in response to mhmmdmz

Hi mhmmdmz,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We see you're running into some issues with video playback in Safari, and we'd like to help out with this.

Have you checked other video websites like YouTube? How does that one work?

Try clicking Safari > Preferences, and then Extensions. In the left-hand column, are any enabled? Since other browsers seem to work, checking extensions may be a good way to narrow this down.

Let us know what you find.

Take care.

Feb 6, 2022 7:23 PM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your response @ryane77.

YouTube plays well but something interesting happens:

While a YouTube video is playing, if I open Amazon prime or Netflix, the entire browser freezes and I have to execute a force quit.

Also, when I open certain websites (or PDFs from links), they crash after going through a loop of reloads.

No issues while executing the same actions on Chrome or FireFox.

And yes, extensions are enabled but even after disabling them, Netflix and Prime don't work. I've tried some websites that test HTML5 video and they work fine too.

Safari unable to stream video on Netflix or Prime Video. YouTube works but stops when I open other streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.