Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"File" can't be opened right now. The file format is invalid.

I am working with OS12.1 on a fairly new MacBook Air. Several files stored on the hard drive return this error message when I try to open them. This includes Pages, Numbers, and even rtf documents. Most of these files were created less than two years ago. Some of them had to be restored from a faulty WD Elements drive, where they were backed up. They contain important information. Any idea what could be wrong here?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 5:03 AM

Do you have a Time Machine backup containing these same files in an undamaged state? If so, a restore of the individual files can save the day.

Pages (or Numbers) is very particular about the integrity of documents it is asked to open. Once it complains about the document, such as invalid file format, then you are likely done. You can boot into safe boot mode, and try opening these documents, followed by a normal reboot, but I doubt it will resolve the issue.

If you used any file recovery software to retrieve those files from that faulty WD drive, then that recovery software could not possibly have reconstructed the Pages (or Numbers) documents' internal content correctly, as only Pages (or Numbers) can do that. That would also explain why those RTF files cannot be opened as it sounds like they are damaged too, but for a different reason. In the latter case, can TextEdit, or even LibreOffice v7.2.5 (current) open those RTF files? LO won't handle any RTFD files though.

If Pages documents were double-clicked on Google Drive, or on Windows, the default action is to unzip (and irreparably damage them).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 5:03 AM in response to sawiggins

Do you have a Time Machine backup containing these same files in an undamaged state? If so, a restore of the individual files can save the day.

Pages (or Numbers) is very particular about the integrity of documents it is asked to open. Once it complains about the document, such as invalid file format, then you are likely done. You can boot into safe boot mode, and try opening these documents, followed by a normal reboot, but I doubt it will resolve the issue.

If you used any file recovery software to retrieve those files from that faulty WD drive, then that recovery software could not possibly have reconstructed the Pages (or Numbers) documents' internal content correctly, as only Pages (or Numbers) can do that. That would also explain why those RTF files cannot be opened as it sounds like they are damaged too, but for a different reason. In the latter case, can TextEdit, or even LibreOffice v7.2.5 (current) open those RTF files? LO won't handle any RTFD files though.

If Pages documents were double-clicked on Google Drive, or on Windows, the default action is to unzip (and irreparably damage them).

Feb 6, 2022 5:14 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the info. I did try to open the rtf files with Text Edit but received a similar error. My failed WD drive had to be sent (at considerable expense) to a data recovery company. Most files that I've tried to open since then have worked. I tend to write in Scrivener which, until this incident, has always been able to extract at least the text from damaged files from just about any word processor. Scrivener can't even access this, so I guess it's likely hopeless?

"File" can't be opened right now. The file format is invalid.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.