You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup 8 phone when phone is dead

How can I backup my Info from my phone before my Genius Bar appt if my phone is dead

iPhone 8

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 5:05 AM

2 replies

Feb 6, 2022 10:46 AM in response to barbperk

Depends on how dead it is. There are some forms of "dead" such as a malfunctioning touchscreen or dead display where everything inside is still fully functional. It's possible for such damage to be repaired by just replacing the front screen assembly and you can get all the data. Or where it's possible to do a backup, turn on alarms, check the battery charge level, etc. However, that requires that it has been "trusted" with a computer. There might also be automatic backup of some of the data to iCloud. You can check that by logging into iCloud.com with your Apple ID and password.

View and manage iCloud device backups - Apple Support

What are you looking to get out of it. A lot of dead iPhones "serviced" by Apple use end up getting replaced. If that's OK with you, then Apple is a good way to do that because getting a refurbished iPhone (in good working condition with a new OEM battery) is pretty good. It may not be so good if your primary concern is getting the data back. Apple makes no promises about the data and makes anyone receiving service acknowledge that the data may be erased or otherwise non-recoverable.

Backup 8 phone when phone is dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.