You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD with temp sensor or not

Hi

I want to replace broken hdd with ssd in my 2013 iMac 27' running on Mojave (10.14.6).

I read different things about temp sensor for third party ssd's and would like to know is it possible to use ssd without extra temp sensor or do I need to stick temp sensor to the ssd in order to run system properly.

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 6:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 10:12 AM

Just for the sake of completeness and as feedback for anyone interested, I'm replacing the broken 3TB HDD with Samsung's 4TB EVO 870 without an external OWC temperature sensor.

During the recovery from the backup HDD, more than 2TB was transferred to the new SSD and the fan was silent throughout the whole copying process.

And the job was neither risky nor particularly challenging for my children (twins 12y) who had replaced the hard drive independently under my guidance ;-)

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2022 10:12 AM in response to b2010

Just for the sake of completeness and as feedback for anyone interested, I'm replacing the broken 3TB HDD with Samsung's 4TB EVO 870 without an external OWC temperature sensor.

During the recovery from the backup HDD, more than 2TB was transferred to the new SSD and the fan was silent throughout the whole copying process.

And the job was neither risky nor particularly challenging for my children (twins 12y) who had replaced the hard drive independently under my guidance ;-)

Feb 6, 2022 12:02 PM in response to b2010

iMac was never designed to repaired or upgraded by the end-user, and these modifications have great risk of damage or permanent failure to the iMac. For this reason, simply use an external SSD. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please see: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk on a Desktop Mac - Apple Community.

Jack

Feb 6, 2022 9:34 AM in response to b2010

Hold up. That info is not correct.

It is true the sensor cable is not needed to detect SSD heat but is needed to "trick" the computer into thinking all the connections have been reestablished. The install video that DonH49 links CLEARLY shows OWC recommends the sensor if you are replacing the old mech HD with an SSD. Look at time mark 5:50.

Likewise, the OWC kit for the HDD > SSD upgrade:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/K27IM12HP480/

CLEARLY shows the sensor cable as part of the kit.

Please follow those guidelines, including understanding that opening a sealed-case iMac is not a trivial task. We've seen posts here where someone destroyed their computer trying to open it.

Feb 7, 2022 8:14 AM in response to hcsitas

Sure OWC recommends, but other 3ps don't . Cheers

Let's put it this way: The need for the cable is not dependent on the brand/type of SATA drive but entirely dependent on a demand of the iMac's heat sensor system. If the sensor system detects a missing, failed, of failing sensor on a fan-controlled component like a drive, it sets fans to full speed to compensate. That is a noisy 2700 rpm.

The sensor cable completes the detection loop to let the fans run as before.

I

SSD with temp sensor or not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.