Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not seeing detailed sleep data in the Health app

Hello,

I've started using my Apple Watch (Series 5 Nike) to get detailed sleep data.

I have a couple of sleep apps and they display lots of great detail about my sleep. This makes me think that I've configured the settings on my watch/phone to have my watch track my sleep.

However, when I go into the iPhone's Health app and look at sleep, it only displays the duration of my sleep. Nothing about REM vs Deep sleep, interruptions, etc.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 7:40 AM

OK, I've done that and will see if that helps.

Actually, maybe I need to back up a second. I'm trying to find confirmation, but does the Health app display the advanced data about sleep (e.g., REM percentage, deep sleep percentage, etc.)? Or do only 3rd party apps show those details? I haven't found anything on the Web about seeing the detailed sleep analysis in Health app. I thought I saw it in the past when I first got my watch a few years ago.

Just read this:

"Notably, the Sleep app does not give you a sleep score, like wearables from Fitbit, Amazon, and Garmin do. Nor does the Sleep app offer numbers for average heart rate during sleep, sleep stages, or average sleep respiration. In contrast, the Fitbit Charge 3, Amazon Halo, and Garmin Vivoactive 4S track sleep stages, like light, deep, and REM sleep. The Fitbit Charge 3 can track naps, not just night sleep, and Amazon’s new Halo wearable tracks skin temperature while sleeping."

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 7:40 AM in response to Community User

OK, I've done that and will see if that helps.

Actually, maybe I need to back up a second. I'm trying to find confirmation, but does the Health app display the advanced data about sleep (e.g., REM percentage, deep sleep percentage, etc.)? Or do only 3rd party apps show those details? I haven't found anything on the Web about seeing the detailed sleep analysis in Health app. I thought I saw it in the past when I first got my watch a few years ago.

Just read this:

"Notably, the Sleep app does not give you a sleep score, like wearables from Fitbit, Amazon, and Garmin do. Nor does the Sleep app offer numbers for average heart rate during sleep, sleep stages, or average sleep respiration. In contrast, the Fitbit Charge 3, Amazon Halo, and Garmin Vivoactive 4S track sleep stages, like light, deep, and REM sleep. The Fitbit Charge 3 can track naps, not just night sleep, and Amazon’s new Halo wearable tracks skin temperature while sleeping."

Feb 6, 2022 7:19 AM in response to skbohler

Is your watch at the top of the list in data sources?.

Here's how to choose the sources that Health uses first:

Open the Health app and tap the Browse tab.

Tap a category, then tap a subcategory.

Scroll down, then tap Data Sources & Access.

Tap Edit.

Touch and hold the Change Order button next to a data source, then drag it up or down in the list.

To turn off a data source so it doesn't contribute any more data for that category, tap the tick next to the source.

Tap Done.

If multiple sources contribute the same data type, the data source at the top will take priority over other sources. Any new apps or devices you add go to the top of the list automatically.

Feb 6, 2022 7:03 AM in response to skbohler

Your 3rd party apps enter their own data into the health if they're given permission,which seems to explain why you're only getting basic data from the watch sleep app.

Not seeing detailed sleep data in the Health app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.