Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." Problem

So recently (around December) my mac had water damage and when they fixed it everything had to be reset. Luckily, all my screenshots, photos and files were on my school OneDrive, but when I wanted to open a photo, it said "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." I have tried restarting my laptop, but the issue still persists. My laptop is from around August 2020 (well they probably replaced nearly everything during the repair, but I bought it around August in 2020) running macOS Monterey version 12.2

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 11:24 AM

Hi stxrliiqht,

We understand you're having some problems accessing your data from Microsoft OneDrive, and we'd like to provide as much help as we can. To clarify, are you trying to open the photo directly from OneDrive, or are you trying to download it first? Also, was the MacBook Air restored from a Time Machine backup after the repair was complete? The reason we ask is that normally this alert means that Microsoft OneDrive can't access an application or the application isn't installed.

If you haven't done so already, let's make sure that the Microsoft OneDrive app is installed on your MacBook Air, and then try to open the photo again.

OneDrive for Mac

Let us know what you find and we'll work from there.

Have a great day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 11:24 AM in response to stxrliiqht

Hi stxrliiqht,

We understand you're having some problems accessing your data from Microsoft OneDrive, and we'd like to provide as much help as we can. To clarify, are you trying to open the photo directly from OneDrive, or are you trying to download it first? Also, was the MacBook Air restored from a Time Machine backup after the repair was complete? The reason we ask is that normally this alert means that Microsoft OneDrive can't access an application or the application isn't installed.

If you haven't done so already, let's make sure that the Microsoft OneDrive app is installed on your MacBook Air, and then try to open the photo again.

OneDrive for Mac

Let us know what you find and we'll work from there.

Have a great day.

"Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.