Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Account Password not recognized

Hi after updating to 11.6.3, was asked if I wanted to use icloud keychain. Said yes. Now I cannot access emails on one email account. Password not recognized now. How can I retrieve the old password? Or do I need to contact my internet provider to reset?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 3:28 PM

I believe the answer is yes to both. However, I do not use Time Machine, so I can't tell you how t get it there. Time Machine is primarily for backing up, so getting the password may be difficult. You can more easily get it from Keychain. However, from what I've read here, it may not have been transferred. What you need to do is to ensure that your computer is connected to your iCloud account and that Keychain is selected for mirroring. To do that open System Preferences. Click on Apple ID. Click on iCloud on the left side of the window. Then make sure that Keychain is clicked. When we do that it means that Keychain and the Mac will mirror each other.

In addition, I recommend that everyone also separately store their passwords. I have done so on an Excel spreadsheet. I keep it up to date and current. I also made the document itself password protected. If you aren't sure that you will remember it for sure, then write it down somewhere secure. I then keep a printed copy for quick reference when needed since not all of my passwords are stored on Keychain for security concerns.

In the worst case scenario, just create a new password for that account and then save it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 3:28 PM in response to urbanHobbit

I believe the answer is yes to both. However, I do not use Time Machine, so I can't tell you how t get it there. Time Machine is primarily for backing up, so getting the password may be difficult. You can more easily get it from Keychain. However, from what I've read here, it may not have been transferred. What you need to do is to ensure that your computer is connected to your iCloud account and that Keychain is selected for mirroring. To do that open System Preferences. Click on Apple ID. Click on iCloud on the left side of the window. Then make sure that Keychain is clicked. When we do that it means that Keychain and the Mac will mirror each other.

In addition, I recommend that everyone also separately store their passwords. I have done so on an Excel spreadsheet. I keep it up to date and current. I also made the document itself password protected. If you aren't sure that you will remember it for sure, then write it down somewhere secure. I then keep a printed copy for quick reference when needed since not all of my passwords are stored on Keychain for security concerns.

In the worst case scenario, just create a new password for that account and then save it.

Mac Mail Account Password not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.