Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 Chip - two displays

Why does my Mac Mini continue to switch the right and left display? seems to be whenever it goes into sleep mode and then when you wake it up, the displays are switched. Restart puts them back right again. Main display is plugged into the HDMI port, second extended display plugged into USBC adapter with HDMI port.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM

Disable Computer Sleep and only allow the Displays to Turn Off/Sleep.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 7, 2022 12:16 PM in response to TSHGolf

Just out of curiosity, are the displays identical?

Does the same thing happen if you physically switch the displays?

After doing the above and comparing the results with the normal connection, when you get "the switch", does the same display end up as the "main"? If so, there may become timing issue when waking the computer in terms of recognizing the the displays.

By default, if what is set as the main display does not immediately get recognized, it will jump to the next port and find if it recognizes that display and sets it as the main.

A fairly easy test to see if it is display dependent or not.

Also, not all I/O ports are recognized and initialized all at the same time, there is some order to the process. Perhaps waking from sleep is not the same order as reboot/power up.

Either way I would file a feedback to Apple as while you have found a workaround, it is not really the what should have been done to make it work:

Product Feedback - Apple

Mac Mini M1 Chip - two displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.