Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1: Second display doesn't wake up.

The second display won't wake up after my MacBook Air M1 goes to sleep with the second display connected with USB-C to HDMI cable.

The same question was posted in Dec 2021 but the answer was useless: it linked to two Apple papers that DO NOT address this problem:

Get started here: Connect a display to your Mac

This page may also help: If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 11:17 AM

You can get a cable for about 15 quid on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting-Black/dp/B01LYD2Y19

I checked the monitor specs, so it should all work.

Unless you plan to replace the display quite soon, I would personally find the display not waking quite frustrating…

Good luck.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 11:17 AM in response to Voyager-in-Gale

You can get a cable for about 15 quid on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting-Black/dp/B01LYD2Y19

I checked the monitor specs, so it should all work.

Unless you plan to replace the display quite soon, I would personally find the display not waking quite frustrating…

Good luck.

Apr 30, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Voyager-in-Gale

Hello, most monitors have full size DisplayPort on the back, and the only place you'd see Mini DP is on Laptops typically, but if you want to post a link to your monitor, I can check the specs.

With regards to markings on the back of your display, mine is quite unclear too... Easiest way to figure it out, is that HDMI ports are symmetrical, and DP ports aren't.

May 1, 2022 2:17 AM in response to GreeniusGenius

There is one port at the back of my display (LG 24BK550Y) marked "DP IN". So I guess it's a full-size DP port. The Apple store carries a USB-C to minidisplay cable for 39.95 $. I am wondering if it's worth the time and expense to go hunt for a cable, or just cope with what I have until I get a new display with hopefully a USB-C port. I bought the USB-C to HDMI cable when I got my MB Air to connect to my existing desktop display.

Thanks for the attention.

MacBook Air M1: Second display doesn't wake up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.