Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reinstall Mac OS after erasing -- but getting error message

I'm very non-tech-y but I felt that, if I followed instructions from the internet, I could deal with this issue myself. Sadly, I'm not sure any of it worked. So, to explain, I have a very old (2009) iMac (desktop). I purchased a new one so want to give my old one to a family member. But, I wanted to erase any sensitive data on it first. So, I did an erase through disc utility (which seemed to have worked). Now, seems like I need to reinstall Mac OS. I've tried to do so through OS X utility --> reinstall OS X. I get a pop up that says my computer's eligibility will need to be confirmed, then I select the Mac HD disk (only option as the recovery disk one is locked). This brings me to sign in with my apple ID. Then I get a message saying "this item is temporarily unavailable. try again later". So, I thought maybe my original set up Mac OS X install DVD might work . . . but my computer sounds like it might accept it . . . then nothing happens and it spits it right back out. Is my computer now pooched, or can this be rectified and, if so, how? My 8 year old grandson much appreciates any help as he's been waiting/hoping for this computer for a few weeks now.

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM

If you want to re-install Mac OS, please restart in the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup until the computer starts in the Recovery Partition.

Next, select Install Mac OS and then begin the install. DO NOT use your Apple ID to set it up, the new owner should do that. If possible I would recommend your grandson be with you while you do the install so the install collects the correct information.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM in response to sydney2008

If you want to re-install Mac OS, please restart in the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup until the computer starts in the Recovery Partition.

Next, select Install Mac OS and then begin the install. DO NOT use your Apple ID to set it up, the new owner should do that. If possible I would recommend your grandson be with you while you do the install so the install collects the correct information.

how to reinstall Mac OS after erasing -- but getting error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.