Repair MacOS for my iMac 21.5' as I mistakenly wiped tin preparation for sale and now have no operating system at all?

I was preparing my mid 2011 iMac 21.5' and follow the suggested instructions for erasing all my date. I was running High Sierra OS and when I was in the Disk Utility where I correctly deleted the Macintosh Hd drive and then mistakenly erased the File image on the OS which has left me without an operating system and cannot boot up the computer.

I have tried to do the suggested reinstall from the Recovery menu but I am getting nowhere.

Can anyone help with possible solutions please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 3:53 AM

Reinstalling macOS on a disk that has been completely erased using Internet Recovery is a useful troubleshooting step if your Mac's operating system is corrupted or you want to perform a clean installation. Internet Recovery allows you to download macOS directly from Apple's servers. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

**Important Note:** This process will erase all data on the selected disk, so ensure you have backed up any important files before proceeding.

1. **Power Off Your Mac**: Shut down your Mac completely.

2. **Access Internet Recovery Mode**: To do this, press and hold the following keys simultaneously as you turn on your Mac or restart it: `Option + Command + R`. Keep holding these keys until you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe on the screen. This signifies that your Mac is booting into Internet Recovery Mode.

3. **Connect to a Wi-Fi Network**: Your Mac will need an internet connection to download the macOS installer. Select a Wi-Fi network from the list and enter the necessary credentials if required.

4. **Start Disk Utility**: Once your Mac connects to the internet, you'll be presented with the macOS Utilities window. Select "Disk Utility" and click "Continue."

5. **Erase the Target Disk**: In Disk Utility, locate the internal disk where you want to install macOS. It should appear on the left sidebar. Select it and click the "Erase" button in the toolbar.

- Choose a name for the disk (e.g., "Macintosh HD").

- Select a format (usually "APFS" for modern Macs).

- Click "Erase" to format the disk. This will erase all data on the selected disk.

6. **Quit Disk Utility**: After the erasure is complete, close Disk Utility to return to the macOS Utilities window.

7. **Install macOS**: In the macOS Utilities window, select "Reinstall macOS" and click "Continue."

8. **Choose the Target Disk**: Select the newly erased disk as the installation destination and click "Install."

9. **Download macOS**: Your Mac will now connect to Apple's servers and download the latest version of macOS. The installation process may take some time depending on your internet connection speed.

10. **Complete Setup**: Once macOS is downloaded and installed, your Mac will automatically reboot. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Mac, including creating a user account and configuring settings.

11. **Restore Data (Optional)**: After successfully reinstalling macOS, you can restore your files from your backup if you have one. You can do this using Time Machine or another backup method.

That's it!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 3:53 AM in response to Tommac1967

Reinstalling macOS on a disk that has been completely erased using Internet Recovery is a useful troubleshooting step if your Mac's operating system is corrupted or you want to perform a clean installation. Internet Recovery allows you to download macOS directly from Apple's servers. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

**Important Note:** This process will erase all data on the selected disk, so ensure you have backed up any important files before proceeding.

1. **Power Off Your Mac**: Shut down your Mac completely.

2. **Access Internet Recovery Mode**: To do this, press and hold the following keys simultaneously as you turn on your Mac or restart it: `Option + Command + R`. Keep holding these keys until you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe on the screen. This signifies that your Mac is booting into Internet Recovery Mode.

3. **Connect to a Wi-Fi Network**: Your Mac will need an internet connection to download the macOS installer. Select a Wi-Fi network from the list and enter the necessary credentials if required.

4. **Start Disk Utility**: Once your Mac connects to the internet, you'll be presented with the macOS Utilities window. Select "Disk Utility" and click "Continue."

5. **Erase the Target Disk**: In Disk Utility, locate the internal disk where you want to install macOS. It should appear on the left sidebar. Select it and click the "Erase" button in the toolbar.

- Choose a name for the disk (e.g., "Macintosh HD").

- Select a format (usually "APFS" for modern Macs).

- Click "Erase" to format the disk. This will erase all data on the selected disk.

6. **Quit Disk Utility**: After the erasure is complete, close Disk Utility to return to the macOS Utilities window.

7. **Install macOS**: In the macOS Utilities window, select "Reinstall macOS" and click "Continue."

8. **Choose the Target Disk**: Select the newly erased disk as the installation destination and click "Install."

9. **Download macOS**: Your Mac will now connect to Apple's servers and download the latest version of macOS. The installation process may take some time depending on your internet connection speed.

10. **Complete Setup**: Once macOS is downloaded and installed, your Mac will automatically reboot. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Mac, including creating a user account and configuring settings.

11. **Restore Data (Optional)**: After successfully reinstalling macOS, you can restore your files from your backup if you have one. You can do this using Time Machine or another backup method.

That's it!

Repair MacOS for my iMac 21.5' as I mistakenly wiped tin preparation for sale and now have no operating system at all?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.