Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pulled out iMac drive, stuck into enclosure and want to use as external to rescue data from it. How ?

Hi folks,

so there is a software issue with my iMac fusion drive that will most likely require me to do a full cleanup losing all my data regardless of the partitions.

So I literally took the iMac apart, pulled out the hard drive and stuck it into an external enclosure which can then connect to my MacBook . The problem is, I need to somehow put that drive into the target disk mode , but i cant do it on the actual iMac because it simply won't boot up.

So in short, is there a way to put the hard drive into the target disk mode while it is physically taken out of the iMac and connected via "drawer" and usb to a MacBook simply to try and save as much data as I can from the other partition before we have to wipe the entire hard drive?

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 12:46 PM

Hmmmm, I'd call AppleCare and see if they have some sage advice.

AppleCare contact Information

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 7, 2022 12:29 PM in response to rkaufmann87

heya , thank you for there reply ,

it is indeed a powered enclosure yes . the problem is that the MacBook to which the enclosure with the hard drive is connected - doesn't recognise it as an external storage drive.

when i go into disk utility I see it on the list as an external APFS physical storage but its grayed out and does not let me mount it.

I was excepting it would automatically be mounted and visible when connected to the MacBook but unfortunately it isn't and this is where Im stuck

when i press the mount button in disc utility , nothing happens

Pulled out iMac drive, stuck into enclosure and want to use as external to rescue data from it. How ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.