Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote Crashing

Hi there,

My Keynote crashed while working on a presentation and since then I've been able to open up Keynote without it crashing. I've tried different presentations but it continues to crash. I went to upgrade Keynote but I can't upgrade it without updating the OS to 11.0 or higher, which I don't want to do at this time. I've read on another forum that I should be able to run/ upgrade an older version of Keynote from the App store but I can't seem to do this and/ or I am not able to. I tried uninstalling Keynote and couldn't upload an older version of Keynote via the Appstore (I then re-installed Keynote from Time Machine) I am currently on Mac Os Mojave v. 10.14.6 and the version of Keynote is 7.0.5. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

RB

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 3:32 AM

You will need to uninstall Keynote completely, try this procedure:

complete all of the following steps in the order listed:

• ensure you have a current backup of all your user files, saved to a separate drive

• close all applications

• uninstall Keynote; for this procedure to work, an application removal tool must be used, App Delete has a free trial and works for this procedure. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website here:  App Delete

• empty the Trash (Finder > Empty Trash)

• restart the Mac (Apple Menu > Restart);  Immediately after the Apple startup sound, press the shift key on the keyboard, release shift when the Apple icon appears. Start up will take longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair of the start up drive

• After the Mac is fully powered up, restart the Mac normally:   Apple Menu > Restart

• reinstall Keynote from the Mac App Store

• Restart the Mac again

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 3:32 AM in response to rbar74

You will need to uninstall Keynote completely, try this procedure:

complete all of the following steps in the order listed:

• ensure you have a current backup of all your user files, saved to a separate drive

• close all applications

• uninstall Keynote; for this procedure to work, an application removal tool must be used, App Delete has a free trial and works for this procedure. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website here:  App Delete

• empty the Trash (Finder > Empty Trash)

• restart the Mac (Apple Menu > Restart);  Immediately after the Apple startup sound, press the shift key on the keyboard, release shift when the Apple icon appears. Start up will take longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair of the start up drive

• After the Mac is fully powered up, restart the Mac normally:   Apple Menu > Restart

• reinstall Keynote from the Mac App Store

• Restart the Mac again

Keynote Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.