Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup of Desktop & Documents incomplete

So here's a weird and worrisome thing. I checked the iCloud prefs option to include Desktop and Documents in an iCloud backup. It scooped up all the loose docs and folders into a single folder visible on the desktop, but then when I went to restore, it looks like all the loose documents are gone. I can't find them using the Finder search tool or through my browser. I know they have to be there, but where the eff are my files?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 1:21 PM

Hi brucedene,

We understand you'd like to move your files back to your computer so they're no longer stored in iCloud. We're happy to offer some guidance.

Go to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud, then next to the iCloud Drive option select Options and turn off Desktop & Documents Folders. This will return your desktop and document folders to being stored directly on your computer instead of in iCloud.

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Hope this helps. Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 1:21 PM in response to brucedene

Hi brucedene,

We understand you'd like to move your files back to your computer so they're no longer stored in iCloud. We're happy to offer some guidance.

Go to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud, then next to the iCloud Drive option select Options and turn off Desktop & Documents Folders. This will return your desktop and document folders to being stored directly on your computer instead of in iCloud.

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Hope this helps. Cheers!

iCloud Backup of Desktop & Documents incomplete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.