Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New M1 MacBook Pro does not see any other Macs or Network Drives— Can anyone assist?

Hey Folks,

My job recently saddled me with a new 16" MacBook Pro M1 (Apple M1 Pro Chip/16GB RAM/500GB SSD) that came stock with MacOS Monterrey (MacOS 12). The main issue is whenever I attempt to look up a local mac on my home network by its name (e.g. MacMini.local), or look for a local computer/network device in the Network section of the Finder Sidebar, nothing appears for selection and it will not connect via Finder's "connect to server" unless I manually type in the IP Address to connect.

I also have a Synology on my network that is not appearing either, even though it is set to be visible and remotely mount on any machine on my network (and does appear on other Macs I have in my household, not running Monterrey).

The other mac on the network is running Big Sur (latest update, 11.6.3) and is broadcasting for file sharing as well (and also appears on any Mac NOT running Monterrey). It is an Intel MacMini 2018. It cannot be connected to by its ".local" name via SMB nor AFP.

I have all of the sidebar items checkmarked and activated in Finder preferences, including Bonjour devices and the Network sidebar selection, and nothing I seem to do will fix this problem that ONLY Monterrey machines seem to be having.

I have already tried the following, with no positive result:

• First, I tried to reset file sharing on all the machines to make sure that they are properly broadcasting their availability. No change.
  • Second, I tried rebooting the machine to see if it was just not appearing in the Network sidebar. No result. Rebooted at least 5 times to see if it would pick up the devices: no change.
  • Third, I tried to do a full reinstall of Monterrey from the Recovery Console, as possibly something was corrupted in system settings either from factory, or from an update that was run to get Monterrey current on the machine before use. Still no change, and cannot see the devices on the network.
  • Fourth, I tried creating a brand new user to see if it was a corrupted user profile, and still, No change: no devices can be seen on brand new accounts either.

So at this point I am at an impasse: It looks like file sharing and network discovery for other Macs and Network devices on Monterrey is horrendously terribly broken, as nothing that is standard as a fix seems to remedy the situation. I've done absolutely EVERYTHING except completely wipe the machine and install a completely fresh and new clean copy of Monterrey. However, I don't think that would end up being a fix either, as one of the previous steps should have alleviated this issue if it was a simple issue of a corrupted OS or Profile.

I don't understand how they could have possibly made things even worse with Monterrey, but if anything, Apple is more than capable and they seem to have done it here.

Is anyone else having this issue on an M1 running the latest OS? Anyone have a fix that they may have discovered? I've searched around, and there seems to be ONE post about this from back when the M1's first came out and how Big Sur was having this issue, but that thread ended last April without a solid fix— and it technically no longer applies because we're on a different OS— and if this was a general issue I'd have thought it'd be resolved in a prior update.

This is no end of frustrating, and as someone who has worked on Macs in a technical capacity for over a decade and a half, I can only surmise that this network discovery function of MacOS Monterrey 12.2 is completely broken.

Any suggestions or advice on how to fix (and please do make sure and read the whole post so you don't suggest something already tried)?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 5:04 PM

Ok, looks like I was able to solve it by flushing my DNS cache, as well as resetting my router to factory settings.

DNS cache didn't do it on its own, but I think the combo of the Router getting the wipe assisted, as it may have been serving up bad pathways, or botching the Bonjour handoff, or... something.

Looks like it is resolved. Thanks for the assistance Mr. Brickley.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 5:04 PM in response to James Brickley

Ok, looks like I was able to solve it by flushing my DNS cache, as well as resetting my router to factory settings.

DNS cache didn't do it on its own, but I think the combo of the Router getting the wipe assisted, as it may have been serving up bad pathways, or botching the Bonjour handoff, or... something.

Looks like it is resolved. Thanks for the assistance Mr. Brickley.

Feb 7, 2022 2:53 PM in response to jyhash

You can also try this on the Big Sur & Monterey Macs and compare the difference.

In Terminal there is a command "dns-sd". If you pass it the "-Q" parameter you can run a query.

So what you can do is type "dns-sd -Q hostname.local" where hostname = an actual host you cannot see on Monterey.

You can press CTRL+C to cancel the query as it will seem to just hang and that is normal.

❯ dns-sd -Q iMac.local
DATE: ---Mon 07 Feb 2022---
17:42:36.909  ...STARTING...
Timestamp     A/R    Flags if Name                          Type  Class   Rdata
17:42:37.233  Add        2  6 iMac.local.                   Addr   IN     192.168.1.175
17:42:37.543  Add        2 13 iMac.local.                   Addr   IN     192.168.1.175
^C

Feb 7, 2022 3:34 PM in response to James Brickley

IPv6 was set to "Automatic", and the fields were empty. It wouldn't let me set it to "Manual" (demanded that I give it an address), so I tried setting it to "local-link only". Now the "Router" field is empty, there is an IPv6 Address registering there (which looks like it is supposed to), and the "prefix length" is showing as 64.

Still no change.

BTW, IPv6 is turned off on my router as my previous job didn't have a VPN that could handle it, so IPv6 should not be functioning on my network.

I tried the command

dns-sd -Q <computername>.local

where "mediacenter" is the name of the MacMini, this is the result after running for 10 minutes. Evidently it can't find ANYTHING:

Last login: Mon Feb  7 14:20:52 on console
*****@****-mbp-M1 ~ % dns-sd -Q mediacenter.local
DATE: ---Mon 07 Feb 2022---
14:56:12.705  ...STARTING...

(I had to put it in the code format here since Apple Discussions is having trouble uploading pictures, also I changed the names on some stuff to Asterisks to preserve privacy)

Nothing has shown up in the terminal after the line that states "...STARTING...", just hangs.

I downloaded the DNS-SD Browser as suggested, and nothing comes up aside from the computer itself in the "_smb._tcp." section on the Monterrey computer, but on the Mac Mini, it not only sees itself, but also the Synology network storage, my Time Capsule, AND the Monterrey MacBook Pro.

Unsure what to do from here.

Brand New M1 MacBook Pro does not see any other Macs or Network Drives— Can anyone assist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.