Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MidAfternoon & Forpet

Since updating to macOS 12.2 (21049) I seem to be finding a lot of "midafternoon quit unexpectedly" or "Forpet quit unexpectedly" - I have no idea what these items/programs the processes are linked too. Being a novice at computing when it comes to error messages, etc., (spreadsheets and presentations aren't an issue) how do i determine why this is happening and what these are linked too - i can see that it is from the following path /Users/USER/Library/midafternoon/midafternoon.app/Contents/MacOS/midafternoon

but no idea otherwise as things appear to be working...it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 4:42 AM

Was this method from Apple Used?? >> Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac ?

Then >>> How to reinstall macOS also suggested by Apple.

This will Require a Stable and Reliable Internet Connection preferred method via Ethernet Cable to Router.

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 8, 2022 5:51 AM in response to sjptain

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 9, 2022 2:32 AM in response to sjptain

Thank you for suppling the Etrecheck Report.

From what is presented in the report >> this computer has been heavily modified and heavy infested with a lot of Adware, Malware plus several really unneeded Application. Some of which are down right dangerous and harmful to the Operating System.

IMHO - the user has three ( 3 ) options

# 1 - Spend a lot of time to remove all the Adware / Malware plus the unneeded and harmful applications. Which may or may not be successful.

# 2 - Do a " Scorch Earth " and Wipe the Drive clean and start with a Clean Installation. Then do Not Use Migration Assist to bring back the Applications and Existing Adware / Malware and harmful Applications. Then, Reinstall only the needed applications Only and Directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer. None of this Bittorrent method as often times these Application can and are infested with Adware / Malware and other unknown elements that harm the computer.

# 3 - Ignore all the above and continue to have a very compromised and infested computer

Q - 1 Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

A - 1 Seen below for example of the Adware / Malware

Q - 2 -Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure.

A - 2 - Worth having the computer Evaluated by Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Visit a Genius at an Apple Store

Q- 3 - More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed. Antivirus software: Apple, Trusteer, and McAfee

A - 3 - McAfee and Trusteer and totally unneeded and actually compromise the OS.There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates. The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer

Q- 4 - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

A- 4 - Covered in above preamble

Q - 5 qbittorrent.app

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist

Executable: /Applications/uTorrent.app

A - 5 - Covered in Point # 2 Above

Q - 6 Adware:

A- Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.sourcesoftwarehub.AppTech.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/AppCommon/AppTech --protect

Reason: Adware name match

B - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.appcart.AppCart.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/AppPolicy/AppCart -i -c 419964 -isn 944B2502-5026-4128-8FFA-BD7E2F106E4A

Reason: Adware pattern match

C - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ReplayInfo.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/com.ReplayInfo/ReplayInfo

Details: Domain name invalid - possibly adware

D - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.xBtyL.plist

Executable: ~/Library/qFVGG/rzBmu

Q - 7 - Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.MacKeeperPrivilegedHelper.plist

A - 7 - MacKeeper is totally unneeded and actual does harm to the OS. Remove as per Developers Instructions. Take a moment to read some of the harmful effects this application does.

Q - 8 - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.forpet.plist

Executable: ~/Library/forpet/forpet.app/Contents/MacOS/forpet

A - 8 - Part of your Original Question which maybe one did not know it was even installed

Q - 10 - Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.privax.osx.provpn.init.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/HmaProVpn/hub/init.s

A - 10  Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect. 

Q - 11 - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.midafternoon.plist

Executable: ~/Library/midafternoon/midafternoon.app/Contents/MacOS/midafternoon

A - 11 - Part of your Original Question which maybe one did not know it was even installed

Q - 12 - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.VersionValidation.plist

Executable: ~/Library/VersionValidation/VersionValidation.app/Contents/MacOS/VersionValidation

Q - 13 - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.UddXC.plist

Executable: ~/Library/2NyKc/VME5A

Q - 14 - Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.UddXC.plist

Executable: ~/Library/2NyKc/VME5A

Feb 9, 2022 5:27 AM in response to PRP_53

I’d have to say that option 2 seems like the best option, as many of the items that are there have evolved over several transfers from Mac to Mac as I’ve upgraded laptops.

I would like to retain my ability to use parallels desktop as I do utilise some window programs (for work purposes). For that side I guess it would be beneficial to retain McAfee?

Also I noticed you mentioned MacKeeper an App that I thought I’d uninstalled as I found it detrimental to my needs and kept pushing ads even though I had purchased the software. Really appreciated your detailed review and will set about getting the system sorted out once I get back home at the weekend.

thank you very much, oh would it be advisable to keep the EtreCheckPro on the laptop?

Feb 9, 2022 6:31 AM in response to sjptain

Tend to agree with a Wipe and Clean install.

Yes, migrating from an older computer to newer computer is a good thing but IMHO is predicated on the Old Computer not having any software issues. Otherwise - the issues from old are migrated to new and thusly badly polluting the newer computer.

As for Etrecheck Application - if one purchased it - then yes.

If one used the trial and free version not so much unless issues arise after the Clean Installation.

Feb 12, 2022 4:17 AM in response to PRP_53

Started on the Wipe and Clean Install but when i reinstall Monterey I'm getting a message "A critical software update is required for your Mac. Connect to a network to install this update" however I cannot get the MacBook Pro to connect to my WiFi network, i even tried Mobile Hotspot and it won't connect so the Laptop shutdown. Will I need to take it my local Apple Repair Store where they will send it away to get fixed, or am i missing another way to do it?

Feb 12, 2022 5:23 AM in response to PRP_53

I did the above only final attempt as i had a feeling the first twice there were still Parallel files available as there was a message coming up. I did some more web-searching and found the items you sent links too and i've managed to get this done and now have a clean machine, will slowly add in the necessary software i need the rest can get discarded.

Many thanks once again.

MidAfternoon & Forpet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.