Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey (MacOS 12) Preventing External Hard Drives from Sleeping

I recently updated my 2019 MacBook Pro (Intel CPU) from Big Sur to Monterey (12.2). Prior to the update I put my computer to sleep and my external G-Technology Shuttle hard drives would go to sleep as well. They would only wake when I woke the computer. Since updating to Monterey I put my computer to sleep and my hard drives shut down and immediately restart (no sleep). Then every 2 mins or so they do the same thing. This happens nonstop until the computer is woke. It seems as though the computer is doing something that is confusing the hard drives to think the computer is awake. Below are my settings for power adapter. Again this issue only started after switching to Monterey.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 7:08 AM

When I don't check "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" they spin all night and never shut down.

The Mac is not waking up. Just the external HDD

If I'm reading this right it is continually sleeping and waking but the machine never actual wakes until I move the mouse and hit a few buttons on the keyboard.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 7:08 AM in response to lllaass

When I don't check "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" they spin all night and never shut down.

The Mac is not waking up. Just the external HDD

If I'm reading this right it is continually sleeping and waking but the machine never actual wakes until I move the mouse and hit a few buttons on the keyboard.

Monterey (MacOS 12) Preventing External Hard Drives from Sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.