You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off automatic window resizing

macOS Monterey added the automatic window resizing feature. I hate this addition, it makes it far more difficult to manage windows moving between screens. Is there a way to turn this feature off and return it to how it was before? I couldn't find a setting for it. Is there a terminal command or third-party software I could download that would make it act as it did before? I really don't like this change, it is ruining my experience and causing lots of frustration.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 7:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 3:44 PM

This was very helpful but unfortunately did not solve the issue

5 replies

Feb 8, 2022 12:26 PM in response to Quentiam

Maybe this:

That gets you multiple desktops, it lets you organize your work as if you have multiple monitors. One screen could be for work, one for relaxation, and you switch between them.

When you choose Move window to desktop, you're taking it out of one Space and into another. The other app then goes into Full Screen mode in a different Screen.

Apple doesn't seem to acknowledge that Spaces and Full Screen or Split View are part of the same concept. It doesn't prompt you to use Spaces, it just uses them for you.

However, if you swipe upwards on a trackpad, or you move your mouse to the top of the menubar, you get a view of all the Spaces and can click to move between them.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/16/how-to-use-window-management-in-macos-monterey

How to turn off automatic window resizing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.