You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Magic Mouse 2 does not move well

My magic mouse 2 does not move well. What surface is a mouse supposed to have. It lags and I clean it constantly with alcohol.

MaryLSax

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 2:15 PM

MaryLSax wrote:

So is there a specific textured mouse pad that works?
Thank you,
Mary Lou

I have never used any “specific textured mouse pad”.

I have used my bed, a grey mousepad that has a woven material texture (not highly obvious to the eyes), a wooden surface, my pants leg, a white pillow, etc.

Just anything that isn’t too uniformly colored and textured.

(Way back, when optical mice first came out, I remember there being many, highly textured, or high contrast colored mousepads. I never bothered with any such.)

If you try some high contrast or highly textured surface, and still have trouble, I would recommend checking the camera lens of your mouse, to make sure it is clean and clear.

If that checks out, I would check for interfering software and/or wireless interference.

(Note: the Apple Magic Mouse 2 can be used plugged in, rather than wireless, though the plug does interfere with normal use. I’ve even used my hand, to run under the mouse.)

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2022 2:15 PM in response to MaryLSax

MaryLSax wrote:

So is there a specific textured mouse pad that works?
Thank you,
Mary Lou

I have never used any “specific textured mouse pad”.

I have used my bed, a grey mousepad that has a woven material texture (not highly obvious to the eyes), a wooden surface, my pants leg, a white pillow, etc.

Just anything that isn’t too uniformly colored and textured.

(Way back, when optical mice first came out, I remember there being many, highly textured, or high contrast colored mousepads. I never bothered with any such.)

If you try some high contrast or highly textured surface, and still have trouble, I would recommend checking the camera lens of your mouse, to make sure it is clean and clear.

If that checks out, I would check for interfering software and/or wireless interference.

(Note: the Apple Magic Mouse 2 can be used plugged in, rather than wireless, though the plug does interfere with normal use. I’ve even used my hand, to run under the mouse.)

Feb 11, 2022 8:08 AM in response to MaryLSax

Welcome, MaryLSax, to Apple Support Communities!

An Apple Magic Mouse 2 is an optical mouse, so it relies upon being able to “see” textures change when the mouse is moved.

(Note: I would be careful what substances I may use in cleaning the lens of the mouse’s camera. [The infrared LED is less of an issue, so long as the infrared light still shines.])

My Magic Mouse 2 does not move well

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.