Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Apple TV (2nd generation)

I’m trying to set up Apple TV for my parents so they can access Netflix on their TV. To get on the network I need to click on ‘Settings’ on the TV screen. How do I navigate from the ‘Computer’ button which is highlighted to the ‘Settings’ button beside it? I’ve tried the arrow on the remote but nothing happens. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 11:45 PM

I can confirm that the Apple remote is linked to the Apple TV box
I’ve clicked […] but nothing happens.

If the remote is good, and the battery is good, and the remote is linked, then all buttons should work.

If the remote buttons do not work, then the remote isn’t linked, or the battery is depleted, or the keys are broken (the circuitry behind it is electronically broken), or something is blocking the IR signal.

You can buy a replacement remote, if the issue is in hardware.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 11:45 PM in response to PattyMJG

I can confirm that the Apple remote is linked to the Apple TV box
I’ve clicked […] but nothing happens.

If the remote is good, and the battery is good, and the remote is linked, then all buttons should work.

If the remote buttons do not work, then the remote isn’t linked, or the battery is depleted, or the keys are broken (the circuitry behind it is electronically broken), or something is blocking the IR signal.

You can buy a replacement remote, if the issue is in hardware.

Feb 9, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that the Apple remote is linked to the Apple TV box (and I should have stated that in my first post). Instructions on the TV screen say something like: navigate to Settings to set up connection to the wifi network. But I’m unable to navigate from the ‘computer’ button (which is highlighted) to the ‘settings’ button on the TV screen. I’ve clicked on the right facing arrow on the remote to try to navigate to the Settings button but nothing happens.

Setting up Apple TV (2nd generation)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.