You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New MacBook Air Mildew Smell

I just opened my brand-new MacBook Air tonight and it stunk like mildew! I couldn’t believe it! The paper on it and the cord smelled like mildew too! It was worse on the cord and I couldn’t use it to set the computer up. I then did a search to see if anybody else had this problem and surprisingly I found out several people have! I have initiated a return of this computer for a new one and I’m really hoping to get one that doesn’t smell. Has anyone here had any luck with getting a new one that does not smell like mildew? It’s very disappointing for Apple. I have never experienced anything like this before with any Apple item. I’m thankful they have great customer service and I will get another one. I’m just hoping it does not smell!

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 8:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 6:55 PM

I had the same problem with a mildewed MacBook Air in Early December. Apple Support did replace the computer quickly, but unfortunately they didn't transfer my AppleCare coverage and it has taken more than two hours on support lines and at least four different people over three weeks, and it is still not resolved. It would seem as if Apple should be able to easily transfer it. I've had computers from Apple for over twenty years and I've never had such surprisingly bad resolution of a problem. I'm hopeful that by the end of this week it will finally be straightened out, but my trust is being severely tested.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2022 6:55 PM in response to Mountaingirl1

I had the same problem with a mildewed MacBook Air in Early December. Apple Support did replace the computer quickly, but unfortunately they didn't transfer my AppleCare coverage and it has taken more than two hours on support lines and at least four different people over three weeks, and it is still not resolved. It would seem as if Apple should be able to easily transfer it. I've had computers from Apple for over twenty years and I've never had such surprisingly bad resolution of a problem. I'm hopeful that by the end of this week it will finally be straightened out, but my trust is being severely tested.

Brand New MacBook Air Mildew Smell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.