Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

F keys on my newest Apple wireless keyboard do not respond

I can't find instructions on function controls for my new Apple Wireless Keyboard, I can't change the volume. Running Cataline, because my iMac is just a scooch too old for High Sierra.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 8:06 AM

1. Catalina is newer than High Sierra. So if your Mac is too old for High Sierra it would be even older for Catalina.
  2. Go to System Preferences->Keyboard and make sure the checkbox for Use F1,F2, etc. keys as standard function keys is not checked. If it is checked, you need to press and hold the Fn key at the bottom left corner of the keyboard (small keyboard) or above the arrow the keys (long keyboard) to access the special functions of the function keys. If the option is not available, then plug in a wired USB keyboard or the lightning to USB-C charge cable that came with the keyboard. It may show up.

FWIW all magic keyboards made by apple thus far have been compatible with all versions of macOS.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Apotts53

1. Catalina is newer than High Sierra. So if your Mac is too old for High Sierra it would be even older for Catalina.
  2. Go to System Preferences->Keyboard and make sure the checkbox for Use F1,F2, etc. keys as standard function keys is not checked. If it is checked, you need to press and hold the Fn key at the bottom left corner of the keyboard (small keyboard) or above the arrow the keys (long keyboard) to access the special functions of the function keys. If the option is not available, then plug in a wired USB keyboard or the lightning to USB-C charge cable that came with the keyboard. It may show up.

FWIW all magic keyboards made by apple thus far have been compatible with all versions of macOS.

F keys on my newest Apple wireless keyboard do not respond

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.