Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up two different macs to the same disk using time machine?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 10:16 AM

I don't know if you can, but I would not. It would only create confusion if you needed to do a restore. Instead, I recommend formatting external the disk into two separate partitions. Name them something like Backup 1 and Backup 2. Then direct each Time Machine to its own partition. Be sure that you get a large enough backup disk. Each partition should be two or three times as large as the HD it is backing up.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 10:16 AM in response to COkline

I don't know if you can, but I would not. It would only create confusion if you needed to do a restore. Instead, I recommend formatting external the disk into two separate partitions. Name them something like Backup 1 and Backup 2. Then direct each Time Machine to its own partition. Be sure that you get a large enough backup disk. Each partition should be two or three times as large as the HD it is backing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.